State Grants

New York State

Students who (a) received a fall 2021 New York State financial aid award, (b) failed to comply with the vaccination requirements and (c) withdrew or were subject to an administrative withdrawal will be allowed a one term exemption during which their financial aid will not be impacted. Such students must comply with the vaccination requirements by the start of the spring 2022 term to retain their financial aid awards.

New York State Excelsior Scholarship 

A New York State Excelsior Scholarship award equals full tuition minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell, or other grants and scholarships.

The Excelsior application is currently closed. Go to the HESC website to sign up to be notified when the application opens again.   

If you are a current Excelsior Scholarship recipient, you do not have to complete the application again; however, ALL recipients and applicants must have a combined federal adjusted gross income of $125,000 or less for the tax year 2019 and must complete the following: 

  • the FAFSA application for each academic year and
  • the TAP application for each academic year (New York State residents attending NYS schools can link directly to the TAP Application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page)

New FIT students, including NYS Dream Act applicants, can determine their eligibility online for the Excelsior Scholarship Program.  

For additional information regarding the Excelsior Scholarship, go to Excelsior Scholarship FAQs.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,165. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

Determine your eligibility for TAP by visiting the New York State Tuition Assistance Program. You can link directly to the TAP Application from the FAFSA  confirmation page. 

TAP Applications are available for 2021-2022.

FIT's New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Codes are: 

  • Lower Division (all associates degree students) - 2070
  • Upper Division (all bachelor's degree students) - 0975

Full-time eligibility requirements involve three factors:

  1. Satisfactory academic progress
  2. Program pursuit in the previous TAP semester
  3. A minimum of 12 credits fulfilling requirements for your current degree program.

If you fail to meet satisfactory progress or program pursuit, the regulations allow for one waiver during your undergraduate career, if there was an extenuating circumstance. The waiver will become part of your records and you are expected to make satisfactory progress thereafter. The waiver is not automatically given and you must apply and be approved. More detailed information and waiver forms are available at Financial Aid Services, Dubinsky Student Center, Room A212A. 

For more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress for TAP students:

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant

EOP grants are available to students who are legal residents of New York State who are educationally disadvantaged as indicated by their high school records and who meet the financial requirements established by the State. Admission to this program is coordinated by  the Office of Educational Opportunity Programs (EOP),  the Admissions office, and Financial Aid Services.

The Senator José Peralta DREAM Act 

The Senator José Peralta New York State DREAM Act gives undocumented and other students access to New York State‐administered grants and scholarships that support their higher education costs. Please visit the HESC website to view the DREAM Act  eligibility requirements for applying under the DREAM Act. 

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) 

Eligibility for the Part-Time Study Program is based on New York State regulations. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in 6 -11.5 course credits that are NOT:

  • bridge courses
  • prerequisite courses for lower division
  • admission-conditional courses for upper division
  • courses that ONLY fulfill a requirement for liberal arts minor

If you drop below the required six credits at any point before the grant disburses, you will become ineligible to receive the grant. For more detailed information regarding APTS regulations and eligibility, please visit  Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) on the HESC website. 

Other States

Some states have grant programs that enable a student to receive grant monies for out-of-state programs of study.  We suggest you check with your State Education Department to determine if you qualify for aid from your state of residency. You may find links to your state at NASFAA State Financial Aid Programs.