Photo by student Alexandra Monaco
Photography at FIT: The substance behind the surface
As our culture becomes more and more visual, photographs play a bigger role in communicating ideas. Photographs are used to sell products, tell a story, or convey a mood. Therefore, talented and skilled photographers are in high demand. What makes a great photo? In FIT's Photography Department, the focus is not solely on a pretty or well-composed image. We are interested in the very essence of photographs and how they communicate complex ideas.
Whether your interest is in advertising, fashion, photojournalism/documentary, or fine art photography, our faculty of professional photographers will prepare you with the skills and knowledge you need to reach your goals as a visual artist. You'll study the latest techniques, learn about camera formats, lighting, and photo styling, and become proficient in both digital and analog technologies. Frequent critiques help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, shaping your identity as an individual creative artist.
- Classrooms are professionally equipped photography studios, darkrooms, and digital editing labs.
- Internship sites include magazines such as Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, and InStyle, major ad agencies, TV studios, and world-famous photographers' studios
In this program, you will:
- create a network of contacts through seminars, guest lectures, and industry events.
- explore museums, galleries, and photo studios in New York City, the center of the art world and your extended classroom.
- develop a portfolio of work that meets the highest professional standard.
- gain an international perspective on photography with study abroad opportunities in Europe and India.