skip to con tent

In this section


Student Health Insurance



Who is required to complete the immunization requirements?
All students taking at least six (6) semester hours or the equivalent per semester are required to submit immunization documentation in accordance with the New York State Public Health Law.  Click here for details on the immunization requirements.

Is the meningitis vaccine mandatory?
The meningitis vaccine is not mandatory. However, you will need to provide information regarding meningococcal disease and vaccination(s).

What if my health practitioner does not have a stamp?
Your health practitioner may write your immunization information and dates on his/her prescription pad and sign it.

Do I need to submit a completed FIT Immunization form if I have my own immunization record?
No, you do not need to have the FIT Immunization form completed. A copy of your immunization record is sufficient provided that it meets the requirements.

What can I do if I don't have my immunization documents?
If you have not taken the required immunizations, you can get them at Health Services, the New York City Department of Health, or your doctor. For more information, visit our Immunization Requirements page. If you have taken the immunizations, you may take a blood test (MMR titer) to test for presence of antibodies in your blood. We offer the blood test at a cost. Click here for fees.

How do I find answers to immunization questions not listed in the FAQ list?
Call FIT Health Services at 212 217.4190.



Who can use the Health Services?
The Health Services is open to the entire FIT community for emergencies. Other services including general medical and gynecological services, women's and men's health services, acupuncture, massage therapy, and nutrition counseling are only available to full-time students who have paid the Health Services fee. Click Services on the left menu to learn more.

Why are certain services only available to full-time students?
The Health Services Office is funded by the Health Services fee assessed to full-time students who are eligible to utilize the Health Services Office.

How much is the Health Services fee?
The Health Services fee is $161.50 per semester for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Do you offer counseling and psychological services?
The Counseling Center in Dubinsky Room A212B offers these services. For more information, you can visit the Counseling Center webpage or call 212 217.4260.

Can I be seen at the Health Services if I waived the student health insurance provided by FIT?
Yes. Click Services on the left menu to see a list of services available to you.

How much do clinical visits cost at FIT Health Services?
The Health Services fee covers visits to the Health Services.

Can I walk in to see a healthcare provider?
Yes. Click here for information about walk-in hours.

What is the best time to walk in?
Early mornings are usually the best. The hours between noon and 2pm are usually the busiest.

Do I have to wait to be seen?
Walk-ins are on a "first come, first serve" basis so length of wait depends on the number of people who walked in before you. Length of wait may increase if there are emergencies or if we are short on staff. To minimize wait time, appointments are also available. You can schedule appointments at the health portal or by calling us at 212 217.4190.

Do you fill prescriptions?
Because the Health Services is not a licensed pharmacy, we can not fill prescriptions written by other health practitioners. We do, however, provide most medications prescribed by our health practitioners.

How much are the medications the Health Services provides?
Medications provided at FIT Health Services are free.

Why do I need to see a healthcare provider to get medications?
A healthcare provider needs to evaluate your symptoms and choose the best type of treatment. Some over-the-counter medications are available at the front desk. Click here for general medical service information.

Can I call for my test results?
Most test results can be discussed over the phone. However, certain lab results may require coming to Health Services in person.

How do I get a referral?
Consult a healthcare provider at the Health Services for a referral.

What type of payments do you accept?
We accept cash and most major credit cards.

How do I get a copy of my medical records?
A Medical Release Authorization Form must be completed and signed by the patient to release any medical records. Some health information including lab results and summary of clinical visits are available at the health portal.

What do I do if the Health Services is closed?
If you have an on-campus emergency, call the FIT Security Department at 7-7777. If you have an off-campus emergency, call 911. You may also consult other doctors or medical facilities. Our After Hours Care page has a list of nearby facilities. Contact your health insurance for coverage for these visits.

How do I find answers to health services questions not listed in the FAQ list?
Call FIT Health Services at 212 217.4190.


Student Health Insurance

How much is the student health insurance at FIT?

Plan Coverage Fees
August 15, 2017 - January 14, 2018 $987.50
January 15, 2018 - August 14, 2018 $987.50

Who is eligible to enroll to the student health insurance?
All full-time domestic and international students with 12 credits or more, at least 6 credits of which are on campus, are automatically enrolled and billed for the student health insurance. Graduate full time students (9 credit hours overall) are also automatically enrolled and billed for this health insurance. Part-time students may call Haylor at 1-866-535-0456 for eligibility and enrollment.

Can I waive the student health insurance?
Yes. You can waive the student health insurance if you have equal or better health coverage from another US-based company. To waive, you will have to submit a waiver form at haylor.com/FIT by the deadline date. Click here for more information.

Do I have to submit a health insurance waiver form every semester?
You will only need to submit a waiver form in the Fall for the whole academic year. If you enter FIT in the Spring, you will need to submit a waiver form for the Spring semester.

I have waived the student health insurance in the Fall, can I enroll in the student health insurance in the Spring?
Yes. Contact Haylor at 1-866-535-0456.

What does the health insurance cover?
For information on benefits or coverage, download the Summary of Benefits or the Detailed Master Policy, or call Haylor at 1-866-535-0456.

How do I get my insurance ID card?
You can download the insurance ID card at haylor.com/FIT, after the waiver deadline or 3-5 business days after you have confirmed your enrollment.

Why am I unable to download my insurance ID card?
The insurance ID card is available after the waiver deadline. If you need the card before the waiver deadline, you must confirm you enrollment at haylor.com/FIT. The insurance ID card will be available in 3-5 business days after confirmation.

Do you have a list of healthcare providers I can go to?
Go to www.uhcsr.com for a list of participating healthcare providers. You may call the Health Services for assistance.

Where can I fill my prescriptions?
For a list of participating pharmacies, please contact OptumRx at 1-800-788-4863 or visit www.optumrx.com.

Where do I send my mail order prescriptions?
For electronic prescriptions, ask your prescribing provider to send the mail order prescriptions to OptumRx. For non-electronic prescriptions, send mail order prescriptions to:

P.O. Box 2975
Mission, KS 66201

Can I fill multiple months of a prescription at a time?
In-network pharmacies can process up to six (6) months at the point of service. If you are traveling outside the United States for more than a 6-month period, you can request a prescription override.  You must have enough refills in your treatment regimen to accommodate the request. To request an override, download a Prescription Override Request Form. Submit the completed form by faxing to 469-229-5530 or emailing it to PBM@uhcsr.com. Please indicate "Vacation Override - Fashion Institute of Technology" in the cover sheet or email subject line.

What do I do if I receive a bill?
You can contact the company that sent the bill and give them your insurance information. You can also send your bill to:

        United Healthcare Student Resources
        PO BOX 809025
        Dallas, TX 75380-9025

Retain a copy of the bill for your records.

Can I continue my coverage after the policy terminates?
You may extend your coverage for up to 3 months. Call Haylor at 1-866-535-0456 for more information and enrollment details.

How do I find answers to insurance questions not listed in the FAQ list?
You can find more information at haylor.com/FIT or by calling Haylor at 1-866-535-0456.