For bomb threats received by telephone:
- Do not hang up. Attempt to engage the caller in conversation and obtain as much information as possible.
- Have someone else call Campus Security (x7-7777 or 212 217.7777) from another extension, if possible.
- Stay calm and keep your voice calm.
- Pay close attention to details. Talk to the caller to obtain as much information as
possible. Take notes and ask questions:
1. What exactly is the threat? 4. Where is it right now? 2. When will it explode? 5. What does it look like? 3. Where was the bomb left? 6. What kind of bomb is it?
- Observe the callers speech:
- Is the voice familiar in any way?
- Male or female?
- Young or old? Speech patterns (Accent? Stutter?)
- Emotional state (Angry? Agitated? Calm?)
- Background noise (traffic, people talking and accents, music and type, etc.)
- Write down other data:
- Date and time of call
- How threat was received (letter, note, telephone)
- Call Campus Security (x7-7777 or 212 217.7777) and submit your notes from the telephone call or the bomb threat.
- Follow instructions from Campus Security.
If there is an explosion:
- Take cover under sturdy furniture, or leave the building if directed to do so by emergency responders.
- Stay away from windows.
- Do not light matches.
- When safe to evacuate:
- Move well away from the site of the hazard to a safe location.
- Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
- Call Campus Security (x7-7777 or 212 217.7777).
- Follow evacuation procedures.