Remote courses require the same amount of work as classroom courses and combine both synchronous and asynchronous learning for students who wish to engage with their professors and classmates in real-time. You will be asked to log on during specific class times to participate in online discussions, read lectures, complete assignments, and interact with the instructor and other students.
System Requirements for Remote Blackboard Courses:
To take a remote Blackboard course at FIT, you should have access to a computer with
a reliable high speed, broadband or DSL internet connection. Dial-up connections are
not recommended, due to the nature of downloading, viewing, and sharing rich media.
You will also need:
- An up-to-date browser, such as Chrome (recommended), Firefox, or Safari
- A word processing application that has the capability to save files in Microsoft Word or RTF file format. Please check your specific course description to see if any other software or applications are required.
- Built-in or external webcam and speakers
- Some courses may have additional hardware requirements, such as access to a scanner or digital camera (phone cameras are acceptable). Please check your course description for additional requirements.
- FIT's online courses are hosted by Open SUNY, through the Blackboard website. To access your course on a mobile device, use the Blackboard mobile app.
Testing your Login Information
- Your Welcome Email will contain all information needed to access your course: username and password as well as all the links to login.
- Your Welcome Email will be sent to you 24 hours after you have enrolled and is processed Mondays through Thursdays. If you register on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you will receive access on the following Tuesday.
- You should test your access immediately upon receipt of your Welcome Email to ensure that you are prepared with a working account before the course begins. If you are unable to login, please see our troubleshooting guide.
- If you have not received your Welcome Email on a timely basis as stated above, please reach out to our office: [email protected]
Access to Your Remote Course and General Course Information
- Note that Noncredit Courses will not appear in your Blackboard account until the day the class is scheduled to begin. If you login before this date your account will state you are not registered. Please do not panic! This simply means you are early to your class.
- At the start of the course, fully familiarize yourself with the syllabus, deadlines, and related course policy documents such as attendance, grading, required reading, and supplemental learning materials.
- Your courses will have specific meeting times and dates during which you will be in live-time with your instructor and classmates.
- Depending on the nature of your course there may be assignments and/or quizzes to complete along with discussion boards to interact with classmates and the instructor.
FIT Library Resources
Students in a non-credit class will have limited access to digital databases they can access remotely through MyFIT using the student’s FIT username and password. See student’s “Welcome Email” for MyFIT login access.