Spring 2021 Dates (Remote Online)
SXC 110: March 8 - May 5, 2021
Time: Every Monday and Wednesday, 6:10pm to 9:10pm EST
Register before 4pm on March 3.
Tuition: $1,400* (*Note: on-campus has an additional $100 materials fee)
Online Platform: Blackboard - Remote
Artists, designers, and merchandisers embark on an 8-week certificate program that cultivates their ability to use color to achieve success and increase sales with an understanding of consumer behavior. Work hands-on developing professional palettes to make confident design, styling and merchandising decisions. This certificate program includes a panel discussion by industry experts who work with color in their fields, career coaching, and a special session conducted by a top trend expert. Visits and demos include FIT’s unique color facilities.
Course Materials: Students should expect to purchase some workshop-related materials assigned at the first class and have a color wheel by The Color Wheel Co for the first class of the program.
What You Will Learn
- How color impacts branding and purchasing decisions, including subliminal messaging
- How to use color as a creative competitive tool
- Color psychology in today’s multi-cultural market
- Professional color vocabulary, resources, and guides
- Create color palettes, combinations, and stories
- How to use color as a mood and appearance enhancer
- The art and science of color forecasting
- Possible career paths and advancement
- Program developed and taught by professional color experts and offers the only comprehensive curriculum for use of color as a marketing tool
- FIT has the distinction of having faculty who are color specialists in many markets including apparel, accessories, home products, interior design, marketing and communications; as well as psychology, sociology, and art history
- The FIT Gladys Marcus Library trend forecasting resources and the Textile Development and Marketing Department Archroma laboratory
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
Meet Our Faculty
Certificate facilitator, owner, design director, DLHernandez INC, custom rug design, rug stylist, consultant, adjunct assistant professor, certified color specialist, Textile Surface Design, FIT, member IFDA NYC Chapter.
Fashion and textile historian, design and trend consultant.
Global trend ambassador, principal, carpenter+company, international color authority and brand consultant, designer and merchandiser.
President, CFS Trends, internationally recognized color authority and trend forecaster.
Principal, “The Color Coach”, motivational speaker, author and designer.
Design director, Tyler Hall, wallcovering and fabrics, custom art studio hand painted designer, adjunct assistant professor, Textile Surface Design/Fabric Styling, FIT.
4 sessions: How to Use Color to Move the Market: Design Concept to the Customer’s
4 sessions: Learn to Work Like a Color Professional
4 sessions: Color Painting Studio
2 sessions: The Psychological Impact of Color
1 session: Color Trend Forecasting and Today’s Customer
1 session: Color Careers
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit courses in fashion, business, design, computer technology, and marketing, as well as a range of certificate programs to help you enter and advance in the fashion and related industries. With short seminars, multi-session courses, and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford. Hot Topics short courses and noncredit certificate programs give companies and their employees an advantage in today's competitive business world, whether the need is for training or retraining.