The Gemology certificate program is designed to meet the demands of a growing segment of the jewelry industry for employees with more in-depth knowledge of gems and gemstones. Students gain additional knowledge and hands-on skills necessary to work effectively in the jewelry industry and increase their marketability.
The program is targeted to employees, such as retail assistants, junior stone buyers, marketing assistants, jewelry designers, and owners of retail, wholesale, and merchandising gem and jewelry businesses who want to advance their career prospects with this additional knowledge and expertise.
Topics include diamonds and gem material in an historical and contemporary context, new gem materials and enhancements, marketing developments, legislative directives affecting the gem industry, and ethical issues relating to mineral rights, gold recovery methods, diamond production and re-useable material.
Upon completion of the certificate, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various gem material and its social-economic relationship to the jewelry industry.
- Identify each of the major, and rarer, gem materials currently found in the jewelry industry and enhancement treatments.
- Correctly and safely handle pertinent gemological identification equipment and interpret the findings.
- Discern and detect new gem material trends in the jewelry and fashion industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of gem material and the latest developments in the area of sustainability and recovery methods.
The program consists of five courses offered over three semesters:
|JD 141 Introduction to Diamonds||2|
JD 241 Gemology 1 OR JD 142 Gemology/Gem Identification
|JD 281 Diamond Grading||2|
JD 243 Gemology II OR JD 142 Gemology and Gem Identification
JD 244 Gemology III
|11 - 13|
» Tuition & fees (multiply your tuition rate by the number of credits above)
» Request more information about this certificate program
Academic advisement is available by appointment.
Michael Coan, advisor
Pomerantz Center, Room D303