Turn your ideas into action with the Clinton Global Initiative University
The Clinton Global Initiative University is looking for higher education student leaders who are committed to take action in their community to address a pressing challenge. We are looking for students across the world who are motivated to make a positive change in the areas of:
• Environment and Climate Change
• Peace and Human Rights
• Poverty Alleviation
• Public Health
CGI U is President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton’s initiative to engage the next generation of leaders on college campuses around the world. Each CGI U student must make a Commitment to Action: a specific plan of action that addresses some of the world’s most pressing challenges. FIT Hives, POCreatives (now known as Spotlight FIT), and The FIT Natural Dye Garden were some of the Commitments to Action by FIT students who were selected to participate in CGI U.
Represent FIT at this prestigious event through Think Big!
Students accepted into CGI U will participate in a year-round program that includes access to: high-touch mentorship; a social impact curriculum; funding streams; and student engagement events, including an invitation to the annual meeting (date and location t.b.d.).
FIT supports the participation of our students at the CGI U meeting through our Think Big Challenge that is funded through the FIT Student Government Association. Our process gives you a chance to brainstorm with students at campus sessions and receive feedback on your application. If your application is endorsed through our FIT process, then you will be eligible for funding for travel to the meeting and seed funds for your Commitment to Action.
• You can apply as an individual or together with a maximum of two other FIT students. Individual or Team must have at least one member who will not be graduating in 2021
• All members must be enrolled in a degree program, full-time (can be undergraduate or graduate)
• Each team must have a faculty or staff member who will serve as a mentor. You are committed to turn this project idea into action within the next year
• You must attend one Info Session or meeting (see schedule below or contact Suzanne McGillicuddy)
• In order to be eligible for funding from FIT/Think Big, you must submit your application through our internal process and receive feedback and an endorsement before applying to CGI U directly
If your Commitment to Action is accepted through the Think Big Challenge then you will be able to receive support for travel to the CGI U meeting (if there will be an in-person meeting, it’s too soon to know if the meeting will be virtual in 2021).
The Pitch: all teams selected to attend CGI U will present a 5-minute pitch presentation providing a plan for seed funds (similar to Shark Tank). A Think Big panel will select the top three projects and award funds: 1st: $3,000, 2nd: $1,500 and 3rd: $750. This will take place in the spring semester so that you can take advantage of lessons learned from the CGI U curriculum.
Please note that there are limitations on how funds can be spent (e.g. projects can’t budget for payroll or projects outside the U.S.). We work with students individually once we know what their projects entail.
CGI U may invite you to participate in additional fundraising challenges and opportunities.
Attend an Info Session
- Tuesday, November 24th, 5pm-6pm
- Tuesday, December 1st, 1pm-2pm
- Wednesday, December 2nd, 5pm-6pm
- Friday, December 4th, Noon-1pm
Application form and registration link:
» Application Tips and Schedule of CGIU Webinars
CGIU Commitment to Action Map
Commitment to Action Envisioning Framework
Video update of FIT students’ “Closing the Loop” Cotton Muslin Compost Project
“FIT Hives: Sustainability - The Secret to Survival” documentary created by FIT students who brought bees to FIT through their CGI U Commitment to Action