If you are a high school student
You may not apply directly to the bachelor's degree program. High school students should apply to the two-year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree program in Fashion Design or Menswear and after completing that degree apply to the two-year bachelor's program in Technical Design.
If you have an AAS from FIT
Students graduating with AAS degrees in other areas must have completed the prerequisites below.
If you have credits or a degree from another college
You may apply to the two-year Technical Design BS program as a transfer student if you meet one of the following criteria by the time you enroll at FIT:
- you will have an associate or bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college in a program that is equivalent to any FIT AAS program, including the required liberal arts coursework. This is a guideline; graduates in other areas may also be considered if the prerequisites below have been completed.
- you will have earned at least 60 credits toward a bachelor's degree in an equivalent or related program at a regionally-accredited college, including the liberal arts coursework required for an FIT AAS degree and the prerequisites below. This is a guideline; students majoring in other areas may also be considered if the prerequisites below have been completed.
A college program is equivalent if it contains the same major area and liberal arts distribution as FIT AAS programs. Applicants who do not meet the above criteria must apply to an FIT AAS program.
- TS 111 Fundamentals of Textiles
- FD 131 Sewing Techniques I OR FD 133 Materials and Construction I
- FD 117 Design Studio I OR DP 111 Draping Proficiency I
- PM 121 Patternmaking I OR FD 243 Apparel Design Studio - Patternmaking
- AR 101 Fashion Art and Design
- TC 111 Beginning Adobe Illustrator for Patternmaking
Please note that FIT AAS students receive priority admissions consideration.