February 27 - March 3 • FITNYC.EDU/SAW • #FITsustainability
|Monday, February 27||Event||Location|
|5:30 - 6:30pm||Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) Info Session
Information about how students can enter FIT's Think Big Challenge and participate in the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U). Make a commitment to address global challenges in Education, Environment/Climate Change, Poverty Alleviation, Peace & Human Rights, or Public Health, and you might be selected to attend the CGI U meeting in October 2017!
|Feldman Center, Room C-205|
|Tuesday, February 28||
|6 - 7:30pm||
Vegan Designer Panel with PETA presented by FIT Student Government Association (FIT Community only)
|Feldman Center, Room C-205|
|Wednesday, March 1|
|8pm||'True Cost' Documentary Screening (FIT Community only)
The FIT Student Government Association hosts the documentary True Cost. “This is a story about clothing. It’s about the clothes we wear, the people who make them, and the impact the industry is having on our world. The price of clothing has been decreasing for decades, while the human and environmental costs have grown dramatically. True Cost is a groundbreaking documentary film that pulls back the curtain on the untold story and asks us to consider, who really pays the price for our clothing?"
|Dubinsky Dining Hall|
|Thursday, March 2|
Patagonia's Worn Wear Repair Team
|Katie Murphy Amphitheatre|
|Friday, March 3|
|10am - 5pm||Aware Fair
Patagonia Worn Wear Tour:
• Patagonia’s biodiesel repair truck is traveling to colleges around the country to repair clothing for free and teach folks how to fix their own clothes. In an effort to repair more than just clothes, for this tour Patagonia has teamed up with the Post Landfill Action Network to create conversation and action towards a world with less waste.
• The Patagonia Worn Wear repair team can fix about 40 garments per day (sorry, no repairs on luggage or shoes). All repairs are made on a first come, first served basis. One repair per guest. They fix all brands!
Learn how you can make a positive impact by visiting tables, demos, and tours throughout the day. Some of what we’ll be offering includes:
• Clinton Global Initiative University staff will answer questions about applying for CGI U from 11am to 1pm
• Zero Waste Education from: GrowNYC and DSNY (Department of Sanitation)
• Win Klean Kanteen prizes at the FIT SGA Trivia Wheel!
• FIT Hives with the Honeybee Conservancy
• Lauren Singer, Trash is for Tossers Zero Waste blogger
• Eileen Fisher Reworn/Renew showcasing Green Eileen visible mends, demonstrating visible mending techniques.
• FIT Ethics & Sustainability Club
• FIT Health Services Nutritionist: learn about food and zero waste options
• Upcycled knitwear designs exhibited by students in Prof Lisa Donofrio's Advanced Knitwear Design course
• Natural Dye Demo with Prof. Theanne Schiros, Science and Math (2:45pm-4pm, sign-up at the Aware Fair—FIT Community only)
• Tour of Natural Dye Garden with Prof. Sasha Wright, Science and Math (2:45pm, sign-up at the Aware Fair—FIT Community only)
• Textile Compost Demo with Prof. Ajoy Sarkar, Textile Development and Marketing (3:00pm, sign-up at the Aware Fair—FIT Community only)
• Freecycle table: Donate and/or take thread, magazines, art supplies, etc.
|1 - 2:30pm||
What to Do, How to Live: Personal Activism for a Threatened Planet
Questions? Contact the FIT Sustainability Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.