Projects for Academic Year August 2018 - May 2019
Application Due: Monday, December 11, 2017
Approximate Date of Award Notification: May-June 2018
The Sustainability Council of the Fashion Institute of Technology offers an annual grant-fund of $15,000 to support creative and innovative initiatives that help to infuse various aspects of sustainability into our college culture, curricula, operations, and physical environment. Three individual grants are awarded up to $5000 each. The fund is administered by the Sustainability Council.
Purpose of the Fund
The fund can support the development of a full range of potential sustainability efforts at FIT. These might include educational projects that inform our community about sustainability, scholarly research focused on sustainable issues, creative endeavors and projects, procedural changes to daily campus operations, new technology that impacts the campus in a positive and sustainable manner, new methods of operating the physical campus, or professional activities that support awareness of sustainability. "Sustainability," for the purposes of this grant award, should relate to areas of social, environmental, and economic domains of human activities.
The fund’s annual budget is $15,000. The maximum grant awarded per project is $5,000, though smaller amounts may be requested.
Administration of the Fund
The co-chairs of the Sustainability Council administer the fund under the auspices
of the Office of the President. The Sustainability Council Grants Sub-Committee –
a subcommittee of the Sustainability Council – has established and may periodically
revise the guidelines for eligibility and the procedures for selection of grant recipients.
The entire Sustainability Council reviews all proposals and makes its recommendations
for selection to the president for final approval.
The Sustainability Council co-chairs are Suzanne McGillicuddy and Karen Pearson.
Important Dates for Fund Year
Fall 2018 - Spring 2019
- Monday, December 11, 2017: Application DUE. Grant proposals must be emailed to email@example.com in accordance with the application guidelines, by the end of the day.
- December 2017 - January 2018: Sustainability Council reviews grant proposals.
- February 2018: Recommended grants delivered to the president for final approval.
- June 30, 2018: Grant awardees notified by email no later than June 30. Projects can begin as soon as awardees have been notified. NOTE: Purchases for goods and services may not begin until July 1, 2018. Purchases made before July 1, 2018 will not be reimbursed.
- February 15, 2019: Tentative project completion date (project completion date is flexible)
- March 15, 2019: Written report on the project outcome is due to the Sustainability council (or when project is completed)
- April 2019: Project presented at FIT’s Annual Sustainable Business and Design Conference (specific date to be determined; typically held on a Tuesday or Thursday in early April)
- June 30, 2019: Purchases of all goods and services, in accordance with the Sustainability Council’s Administrative Guidelines, must be completed.
All recipients will have a budget orientation meeting at the beginning of the grant cycle.