Projects for Academic Year July 2020 - June 2021
Application Due: Friday, February 7, 2020
Approximate Date of Award Notification: May 2020
The Sustainability Council of the Fashion Institute of Technology offers an annual grant-fund of $15,000 to support creative and innovative initiatives that help to infuse various aspects of sustainability into our college culture, curricula, operations, and physical environment. Project proposals can come from FIT faculty, staff, or students (student projects need faculty or staff advisor) Three individual grants are awarded up to $5000 each. The fund is administered by the Sustainability Council.
Purpose of the Fund
The fund can support the development of a full range of potential sustainability efforts at FIT. These might include educational projects that inform our community about sustainability, scholarly research focused on sustainable issues, creative endeavors and projects, procedural changes to daily campus operations, new technology that impacts the campus in a positive and sustainable manner, new methods of operating the physical campus, or professional activities that support awareness of sustainability. Keep in mind that the term "sustainability" relates to social, environmental, and economic domains of human activities, and therefore proposals can relate to one or all of these areas
The fund’s annual budget is $15,000. The maximum grant awarded per project is $5,000, though smaller amounts may be requested.
Administration of the Fund
The co-chairs of the Sustainability Council administer the fund under the auspices of the Office of the President. The Sustainability Council Grants Sub-Committee – a subcommittee of the Sustainability Council – has established and may periodically revise the guidelines for eligibility and the procedures for selection of grant recipients. The entire Sustainability Council reviews all proposals and makes its recommendations for selection to the president for final selection.
It is highly recommended that grant writers consult with the Sustainability Council's Grants Committee (Sabina Storti and Evelyn Rynkiewicz). Please contact the Sustainability Council Chair, Karen Pearson, at [email protected] to arrange this, or with any other questions about the Sustainability Council Grants.
Important Dates for Fund Year
Spring 2020 - Spring 2021
- Friday, February 7, 2020: Application DUE. Grant proposals must be emailed to [email protected] in accordance with the application guidelines, by the end of the day.
- February - March 2020: Sustainability Council reviews grant proposals.
- April 2020: Recommended grants delivered to the president for final approval.
- May 2020: Grant awardees notified by email no later than June 30. Projects can begin as soon as awardees have been notified. NOTE: Purchases for goods and services may not begin until July 1, 2020. Purchases made before July 1, 2020 will not be reimbursed.
- February 15, 2021: Tentative project completion date (project completion date is flexible)
- March 15, 2021: Written report on the project outcome is due to the Sustainability council (or when project is completed)
- April 2021: Project presented at FIT’s Annual Sustainable Business and Design Conference (specific date to be determined; typically held on a Tuesday or Thursday in early April)
- June 30, 2021: Purchases of all goods and services, in accordance with the Sustainability Council’s Administrative Guidelines, must be completed.
All recipients will have a budget orientation meeting at the beginning of the grant cycle.