Procedure for Requesting Reasonable Accommodation in Housing Based on Disability
The Fashion Institute of Technology believes that the opportunity to participate in a learning/living environment is an integral part of the college experience for all students. In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), FIT has established the procedure described below to provide students with documented disabilities access to campus housing accommodations that reasonably meet their needs, as required by law. Additional information about disability accommodations for students at FIT is available in the Disability Accommodations and Support Services Policy. Specific policies for accommodations for animals in on-campus housing and on campus generally are set forth in the Disability Accommodations for Service and Emotional Support Animals Policy.
In order to request a reasonable accommodation in housing, students must complete the following steps:
- Complete FIT’s Residential Life Housing Application.
- Complete the Release of Medical Information Form (.pdf) authorizing health care professionals identified by you (physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.) to provide information to FIT-ABLE to support the request for a housing accommodation, and authorizing FIT-ABLE to seek the information from the identified professionals.
- Have your healthcare provider complete the Medical Information Form (.pdf) and return it to the FIT-ABLE office via email or fax.
- Begin the registration process with the Office of Disability Services (FIT-ABLE) by completing an electronic Intake Request Form.
- Schedule an appointment for an Intake Meeting at FIT-ABLE, using the FIT-ABLE portal.
- Collect any additional information you would like to provide FIT-ABLE to support your request for a housing accommodation and bring that with you to the intake meeting, or send it to FIT-ABLE prior to your intake meeting.
- Attend the FIT-ABLE Intake meeting to discuss your need for an accommodation.
Please note that a submitted application does not mean that a student’s request for housing accommodations will be approved. On-campus housing accommodations are subject to a determination about the need for and reasonableness of the requested accommodation and the availability of the requested accommodation. Specific roommate requests will generally not be considered in determining a reasonable accommodation.
FIT strongly encourages students wishing to request a reasonable accommodation in housing to do so no later than the dates set forth below.
Dates for Submission of Housing Accommodation Requests
First Year and Transfer Students
- Fall semester housing due by June 15
- Spring semester housing due by December 15
- Fall semester housing due by April 15
- Spring semester housing due by December 15
- Summer Session housing due by April 15
Evaluation of Requests
Requests for housing accommodations are carefully evaluated on a case-by-case basis to provide access in accordance with FIT’s policies and with federal, state, and local law and regulations. Requests for housing accommodations based on disability are reviewed by the FIT-ABLE Office and, in some cases, by the FIT Housing Accommodations Review Team. The Team is led by FIT-ABLE, and is comprised of representatives from Health Services, Counseling, Residence Life, and the Office of the Dean of Students.
FIT-ABLE is responsible for:
- reviewing students’ housing accommodation requests;
- collaborating with other FIT offices, as needed, to evaluate accommodation requests;
- making a final decision based upon individual student’s needs and the reasonableness and availability of the requested accommodation;
- providing students with an email notification of the decision; and
- maintaining disability‐related information in the FIT-ABLE Office.
Returning students previously approved for a housing accommodation must complete a Housing Accommodation Continuation Request Form (.pdf) prior to each new academic year to be considered for a continuation of their accommodation. Dates for submitting the request to FIT-ABLE are above. After students reapply, FIT-ABLE will advise students if updated medical information to support the requested accommodation is needed.
Any questions should be directed to FIT-ABLE at (212) 217-4090, email@example.com, or in person at the FIT-ABLE Office, Dubinsky Student Center, Room A570.