It's what's on top that counts
The Textile/surface design department offers AAS and BFA degrees, providing students with the knowledge and skills for a variety of careers in textile design industries for fashion, accessories, interiors and related markets, and as freelance entrepreneurs. The program achieves this by developing students’ intellectual, aesthetic, analytical and technological abilities. Using painting, screen printing, and weaving together with digital skills the program integrates theory with hands-on applications.
In courses taught by practicing professionals, you will acquire a wide range of skills applicable to a variety of areas, from apparel and home furnishings to carpet design and tabletop, leading to a wide variety of career options. For inspiration, you will be immersed in the designs and creative traditions of countries around the worl, cultures throughout history, as well as your personal vision.
In this program, you will combine artistic ability, technical skills, and creative innovation, while learning how to take a design from conception to product. When you graduate, you will join a growing network of successful alumni, who connect you to the industry and to job opportunities in the many aspects of this global field.
- Facilities include professional-level studios for painting, screen printing, weaving, and knitting, as well as state-of-the-art computer labs.
- Strong industry and alumni ties translate into networking opportunities for students.
- New York City, the creative center of the textile and surface design industry, is your extended campus, with its design studios, showrooms, museums, and galleries.
- Internships provide valuable experience in the industry and oppotunities for future full time employment. Internship sites have included Lee Joffa, Victoria Secret, and Suzanne Tick Design.
In this program, you will:
- work in a wide range of media, including paints, dyes, fibers, yarns, silk screen, and CAD programs.
- find inspiration in The Museum at FIT, which houses one of the worlds largest collection of costumes and textiles.
- collaborate with fellow students in the Textile/ Surface Design Club.
- have opportunities to compete for prestigious industry scholarships.