Waitlisting is a feature in MyFIT that allows you to get in line for courses that have filled up/closed. This automated process notifies students, via FIT email, when a spot has opened up for the class.
Being on a Waitlist does not guarantee registration. When you waitlist a section, you are not registered for the class. The Waitlist means you are waiting for a spot to open up.
WHat courses offer waitlisting?
Currently, the School of Liberal Arts and the School of Business & Technology offer this option on their courses.
By clicking on a course's full title in Class Search, detailed class information will pop up. Sections with a Waitlist available will show how many students are allowed to Waitlist the course, how many students have Waitlisted the course, and how many are spaces are currently open on Waitlist. <<If the Waitlist Capacity is zero (0), then the course you selected is not available for Waitlisting.>>
HOW TO get on A WAITLIST
If Class Search shows a Waitlist is available:
- Under Registration, click on Register/Add/Drop Classes
- Select the term you're registering for, click Submit
- Copy and paste the CRN (Course Reference Number) directly into the box at the bottom of the worksheet
- Click Submit Changes
- You will see a Registration Add Error
- Select WAIT LIST from the drop-down menu box under Action and click Submit Changes
- You will see the course with a Status of WAITLIST, under Current Schedule
NOTIFICATION to register
If a spot becomes available to you for a class you've Waitlisted, an email is automatically sent to your FIT email address. The email will let you know a space has opened up, and will advise you to register within the next 24 hours. The 24-hour time span starts from the time the email is sent. If you do not register for the course within the allotted time, you will lose the spot, and the open seat then goes to the next student on the Waitlist.
When you receive the email notification that a space has opened up for you into a course:
- Find the Waitlisted class on your schedule (the status will say Waitlisted)
- Select Web Register from the drop-down menu under Action
- Click Submit Changes
DROPPING FROM A WAITLIST
You may drop yourself from a Waitlist at any time by going into your registration and selecting WEB DROP for the class, then clicking Submit. You will not incur any fees.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WAITLISTING:
- Be sure to monitor your courses/waitlists and determine how long you feel comfortable waiting for a seat to open. If the start of the term is approaching and you haven't registered for the course, you should consider registering for other sections/courses to fulfill requirements.
- You can Waitlist yourself for multiple courses, but NOT for multiple sections of the same course.
- If you have restrictions preventing you from registering, you will not be able to get on a Waitlist. Follow the protocol to obtain your Special Approvals by contacting the department who runs the course. If the department approves and enters your override online, you may Waitlist for the course, and will be able to register if your seat opens up.
- If you add yourself to a Waitlist be sure to check your FIT Email every day, or you may lose your spot.
- If you lose your spot on a Waitlist, or intentionally drop your spot, you can get back on that waitlist, but keep in mind you may then be lower priority on the queue.
- Waitlisting will NOT give you an error if you try to add a course that has a time conflict with another course for which you've already registered, so be mindful of your schedule when choosing a course to Waitlist.
- Waitlists will be turned off and purged the week before the semester begins. If you're on a Waitlist, you'll receive email warnings with important dates related to Waitlisting.
- Unless you have been notified via email that there is a spot for you in a course with a waitlist, you will get a <Reserved for Waitlist> registration error message.
- Being on a Waitlist does not guarantee you will be able to register for the course.