Create the looks men will wear tomorrow
To succeed in menswear—one of fashion's fastest-growing fields—you need to understand every phase, from concept and design to production and delivery. FIT's Menswear program immerses you in the industry, in a way that's possible only in New York City.
In courses taught by successful menswear professionals, you'll learn everything from basic sewing to advanced tailoring. Students master a wide range of design techniques, from pencil sketching to a variety of computer formats, and the patternmaking skills essential to producing high-quality men's apparel.
You'll discover that the real challenge is not designing a great outfit, but creating a balanced clothing line, with the right number of pieces at the right cost, that suits your market and the season. And you'll learn to create wearable clothes that sell, leading to an array of opportunities in this fast-changing, highly competitive field.
- FIT offers the only menswear degree program in the country.
- Opportunities for multiple internships, at such companies as Calvin Klein, DKNY, Marc Jacobs, and Helmut Lang, give students a competitive edge and contribute to the programs high job placement rate.
- The Menswear Club sponsors trips to such leading companies as Nike in Portland, Oregon; Levi Strauss in San Francisco; Patagonia in Los Angeles; and Land's End in Madison, Wisconsin, where students meet with executives and designers.
In this program, you'll:
- network with industry professionals, who serve as teachers, mentors, and guest lecturers.
- visit designer showrooms and attend major fashion shows in New York City, your extended campus.
- have the opportunity to study abroad in Paris and Milan.
- create a collection before you graduate. The best designs are displayed in The Museum at FIT, in an exhibition attended by representatives of every major designer menswear label.