Why do an MFA in FASHION DESIGN at FIT
Livestream with @wedesign.org
You come to the Master of Fine Arts program in Fashion Design with an idea to explore—then embark on a personal journey of discovery. The relentless pace of fashion can hinder innovation, so here the design process slows down to allow experimentation and reflection. Through a thesis process that makes this program like no other, students have the freedom to explore within a structured, highly mentored environment. You’re given the time, resources, and support to innovate in design, fit, cut, construction, silhouette, and materiality.
While guiding you to create your own rules to realize your vision, the program matches you with an industry partner to help you focus your design work, develop prototypes, and define your market niche. Specially designed courses, including The Fashion Activist, Design Archeology, and craft:OLOGY, encourage original thinking.
Students leave with a viable body of work that reflects their design fluency as formidable makers and articulate influencers in the fashion industry. Graduates will work in large, high-end design houses and smaller ateliers, entrepreneurial ventures, and consultancies, or go on to further study at the MPhil or PhD level.
- Direct access to The Museum at FIT’s collection of fashion and textiles and to the college’s Special Collections
- Connections to design and business innovators through FIT’s position as a pioneer in fashion education with close ties to industry
- International Making Seminars include travel to global destinations to investigate fit and local and international production systems
- Perspectives on brand identity, legal issues, and supply chain through business courses
- Opportunities to present your work and engage with investors and industry leaders