Introduction to Perfumery
Spring Dates: TBA
Time: 6:00pm to 8:30pm
Location: Fragrance Lab, Room A682
Introduction to Perfumery is a 10-week program introducing students to the world of creative perfumery. This course will be sponsored by Symrise, a global fragrance and flavor company. Senior perfumers will be presenting the latest techniques of fragrance development. In a laboratory environment students will be taught to identify and classify both natural and synthetic fragrance materials. Through a combination of lecture, discussion and hands-on creation students will learn fragrance matching, how to develop fragrance accords, the descent of fine fragrances, and the science behind perfumery.
Offered in collaboration with the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing department and taught by recognized industry practitioners, this program provides information on the science of fragrance evaluation and perfume creation.
Introduction to Perfumery
- Identifying and classifying raw materials
- Perfumery raw materials - natural and synthetic
- Techniques of smelling
- Floral accords
- Structure of a fragrance
- Chemical reactions in perfumery
- Regulatory issues in perfumery
- and more!
- The Annette Green Fragrance Foundation Studio, modeled on professional facilities, is the only fragrance lab on a U.S. college campus.
- Curriculum designed by FIT's Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing department which is a leader in fragrance education.
- Taught by industry experts.
- Earn a certificate from FIT, our Cosmetics and Fragrance program is the only one of its kind in the country.
Meet Our Faculty
Assistant Professor and Associate Chairperson, Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing, FIT
Virginia Bonofiglio has been the Chairperson of the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing program at FIT for over ten years. She was trained as a perfumer and has created fragrances for a wide variety of products across multiple categories Prior to entering the academic arena she was the SVP of Fragrances for Technology Flavors and Fragrances, a creative fragrance manufacturer.
Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing, FIT
Senior level product development and marketing expert focused on fragrance, product development and education.
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit courses in fashion, business, design, computer technology, and marketing, as well as a range of certificate programs to help you enter and advance in the fashion and related industries. With short seminars, multi-session courses, and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.