Learn to digitize, plot, and develop patterns in 6 weeks!
Fall 2021 Dates (On-Campus)
NCC 200: October 2 - November 6, 2021 Cancelled
Time: Every Saturday, 10:10am to 2:10pm
*Courses listed with a room location will meet in person on-campus. Please read the requirements for attending on-campus courses here.
This certificate course is designed to help industry professionals such as patternmakers and technical designers learn Gerber Accumark PDS, a computerized pattern design program. The basics of system management, digitizing, plotting, and pattern development are introduced using Gerber Accumark PDS.
This is great for professionals such as patternmakers, technical designers, and 3D designers who are looking to learn computerized patternmaking using the industry’s premiere pattern design program Gerber Accumark PDS. This course will give you the skills to use the program and applications to other design CAD and production management programs.
Requirements: Basic computer skills and basic patternmaking skills
What You Will Learn
- How to draft basic styles using various PDS functions and develop pattern pieces
- How to alter pattern pieces to add various design details
- Digitizing draped pieces or hand pattern pieces into the system
- Basic grading and marker making
- Data conversion – converting and exporting the pattern for other CAD programs
Meet Our Faculty
Tetsuo (Ted) Tamanaha is an assistant professor in the Fashion Department at the Fashion Institute of Technology. He is an expert in Gerber Accumark PDS, the industry’s leading pattern design program. For over fifteen years, he has created prototype and production patterns for major apparel companies such as DKNY Coat, TSE, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Halston, Alice+Olivia, and many others. His work can be seen at tetsuotamanaha.com.
- Overview: Gerber Accumark Explorer and PDS
- PDS menus and commands
- Creating storage area and user ID
- Establishing Preference options
- Orientation of PDS work area
- Creating simple pieces
- Drafting A-line skirt using various commands
- Creating pattern pieces from the initial draft
- Adding seam allowance and notches
- How to name and save pieces
- Creating a Model with a style number
- Developing a new style using the existing patterns
- Basic pattern modifications using various commands
- Measuring the pattern for spec sheet
- Verifying pattern
- Pattern modification according to fit notes / specs
- Adjusting patterns for shrinkage and stretch
- How to digitize – use a jacket draft pattern as an example
- Finish all components in PDS and create a model
- Basic grading – grade A-line skirt
- Create patterns in different sizes
- Developing patterns for lining, interlinings, and markers
- Data conversion – sending patterns as zip files
- Converting the Gerber patterns to non-Gerber patterns
- Addressing issues of conversion process
- Course review
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit courses in fashion, business, design, computer technology, and marketing, as well as a range of certificate programs to help you enter and advance in the fashion and related industries. With short seminars, multi-session courses, and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.