The performance athletic footwear industry in the United States is currently a $17 billion business. Fashion footwear manufacturers such as Nine West, Kenneth Cole Productions and Steve Madden have incorporated athletic footwear design techniques into their fashion lines creating a new category, “ath-leisure,” in footwear. Moreover, companies like Cole Haan have joined forces with Nike to produce both fashion shoes with athletic components and athletic footwear with fashion styles.
Leaders in these industries have communicated to FIT the need for trained personnel in this area. FIT’s Performance Athletic Footwear Certificate Program is designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to work effectively in this industry. Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ergonomics of the foot as it relates to the biomechanics of walking and running;
- Identify the properties of performance materials by texture, moisture, absorption, and stretch;
- Adjust a draft sketch using CAD technology;
- Identify and hand sketch different categories of athletic footwear; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of the athletic footwear industry.
Curriculum (9 credits)
LD 181 Ergonomics for Athletic Footwear
LD 182 Performance Materials for Athletic Footwear
LD 184 Athletic Footwear Sketching
LD 185 Athletic Footwear Drafting
» View current course offerings
» Tuition & fees (multiply your tuition rate by the number of credits above)
» Request more information about this certificate program
Pomerantz Center, Room D363