In accordance with New York State Education Law, New York State residents who live in counties outside New York City must submit a Certificate of Residence to FIT in order to qualify for the resident tuition rate.
This certificate is issued by the Chief Fiscal Officer of the county in which you reside, not by FIT. It is your responsibility to submit the affidavit (choose the appropriate link below) and necessary documentation to your county office in the time frame required by your county. A new certificate is required every fall semester, at the start of the new academic year. Be advised that each county has deadlines imposed by state law.
You can apply for a Certificate of Residence no earlier than sixty (60) days before the start date of the semester or more than thirty (30) days after. That gives you a 90-day window in which to obtain the certificate.
Any student who does not receive a valid certificate and submit it to FIT will be re-assessed and will be required to pay the non-resident tuition rate.
Apply for a Certificate of Residence
1. Complete the appropriate affidavit.
- Nassau County
- Rockland County (click on College Certificate of Residence Application on the left side of the page)
- Suffolk County
- Ulster County (click on Certificate of Residence on the left side of the page)
- Westchester County (click on Certificate of Residency on the left side of the page)
- Affidavit for all other counties (.pdf)
2. Have the affidavit notarized.
3. Submit the notarized affidavit to your county with two (2) of the following documents as proof of residency. Your documents must be at least one year old and dated within two years prior to the date of the application (see note at the bottom of the page):
- driver's license
- vehicle registration
- apartment lease
- income tax return
- utility bill
- voter registration card
- TAP award certificate
- rent receipts
Your county may require that proof be in your name only. Some counties may allow you to submit a copy of a parental income tax return, listing you as a dependent. All inquires are to be directed to your county.
4. Mail the notarized affidavit with photocopies of the documents to your county: County Addresses
5. When you receive the certificate of residency from your county you may email it to [email protected]. Then mail the original to:
Fashion Institute of Technology
Attn: William Martin, Office of the Bursar
227 West 27th Street, Rm 333/15
New York, NY 10001-5992
**Please write your student ID # in the upper right hand corner to expedite the processing of the certificates.
For additional information call (212) 217-3720.
NOTE: To qualify as a New York State resident, you must have established residence in New York State for a period of at least one (1) year, and in a county outside of New York City for a period of at least six (6) months, both immediately preceding the date of registration. Students who have moved from one county to another must file an application with both counties and submit both certificates to FIT.