Brand Management Strategies
A 6-Week Certificate Program
Fall 2021 Dates (Remote Online) Cancelled
SXB 001: November 9 - December 21, 2021 (skips Nov 25)
Time: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 6:10pm to 9:10pm EDT
Online Platform: Webex
*If you began Brand Management Strategies under the previous program, our office will reach out to you regarding registration and certificate completion.
The purpose of this course is to provide a set of tools for creating and managing “Benchmark Brands” as a company’s primary business asset. Learn how to create every part of a successful brand, how to apply brand power in the business world, what works, what doesn't, and why. The course material is useful for single brand owners, retailers, and for a corporation’s brand portfolio. The benchmark concept is a powerful analytic as it is category agnostic and draws from every business vertical, from mass to luxury, including automotive, retail hospitality, technology, finance, and funnels the insights into the fashion space. Based on an understanding of how consumers process symbolic information, proceed to choices in the form of purchases, loyalty and advocating of your brand, and its products, this course draws upon iconic brands and extracts their enduring principles as benchmarks or standards of success and re-purposes these as principles in light of neuropsychology, behavioral economics, and the digital age.
The web has changed business strategies forever. Barriers to market entry have fallen, competition has risen in intensity and numbers as consumers demand sustainability be a core brand value, and an unprecedented number of new companies, all striving to be different and relevant for consumer loyalty, enter the same market space. As the only business asset which, if properly developed and managed, can’t be knocked off, a brand can be the difference between marginal business success without a benchmark brand and optimal success with one.
Every student will leave with a Brand Marketing Plan of their subject matter choice and will be mentored through the process.
High-speed internet connection, standard laptop or desktop with latest browser & streaming video, and built-in video & speaker capabilities.
What You Will Learn
- How to create brand name/identity, manage it, and measure if it's working
- How to trademark and register branded products, messages, and brand assets
- How to brand supply chains and increase business efficiencies and ROI’s
- How to build brand value and assess its impact on financial performance and valuation
- How to brand Customer Relationship Mgt and increase customer loyalty
- How to brand retail initiatives to meet today’s fashion brands’ challenges
- Program developed and taught by professional brand experts
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
Meet Our Faculty
Facilitator and Instructor, FIT's Continuing & Professional Studies; Chief Brand Strategy Officer and CEO, WDA Brand Marketing; and Author, Brand Management Strategies: Luxury to Mass Market
Bill D'Arienzo is the founder of WDA Brand Strategies and is the creator/facilitator of FIT's Brand Management Certificate program. He has written widely on sustainability and brand strategy issues in fashion and beyond and is currently a strategic brand advisor for Actionnate; a web-based initiative that aligns people and their values with brands and their promises, and nonprofits and their purposes, all on a common vetting platform. It promises to be a revolutionary breakthrough in that it offers a central repository, a standardized language and meaningful metrics for assessing sustainability initiatives in the global marketplace. He also serves as Associate Strategic Advisor for US Markets for Ambrosetti, the # 1 think tank in Italy and the leading European premium and luxury brand advisory. His textbook on brand management strategies has been adopted by instructors in courses at 12 U.S. universities.
Instructor, FIT's Continuing & Professional Studies; CFO and COO, LT Apparel Group; Managing Director, FrenchToast; Board Member & Former President, Retail Marketing Society
DeParis is a veteran senior fashion and retail executive with experience in CEO, President, COO, and CFO roles at leading firms including Escada and Calvin Klein and is currently the COO and CFO of LT Apparel Group and Managing Director of its e-commerce division. He has particular expertise in strategy development and execution, business planning, sustainable business performance optimization and corporate culture development. He has been an instructor in the FIT School of Continuing and Professional Studies for more than ten years and an entrepreneur mentor in the FIT Design Entrepreneurs program. He is a former President and current Board member of the Retail Marketing Society, a learning and networking organization for retail professionals.
Brand and experience design solutions expert; Adjunct Professor, Exhibition and Experience Design, Graduate Studies at FIT
Robin Drake is a partner in a leading NYC brand identity design firm and an adjunct professor in FIT's graduate program in Design Exhibition & Experience; he also teaches retail branding strategies in the Brand Management Certificate program at FIT. Robin has been featured in the NY Times design section as well as in Interiors Magazine, calling upon his broad experience and expertise in how branding and interior design intersect.
President, Silvertone Consulting; Host of "The Luxury Item" podcast; and brand strategy executive
Scott Kerr is founder and president of brand strategy firm Silvertone Consulting. Scott is a seasoned global brand marketer and strategist who has held senior positions at some of the top ad agencies, media companies, and consumer brands. He is also the host of "The Luxury Item", a podcast on the business of luxury.
Module I: Creating, Managing, and Measuring a Brand Name, Identity, and Assets
- Creating a Brand Name, Persona, and Brand Assets…Icons, Logos, Taglines
- Managing and Maximizing the Brand’s Lifecycle: Luxury to Mass Markets
- Quantifying Brand Value for Pricing, Licensing, Securitizations, and Loans
Module II: Protecting Brands: Global Challenges in Trademark Registration
- Brand Naming and Trademark Registration as a Global Business Challenge
- Trademark Infringement and Brand Counterfeiting: Brand Mgt. Strategies
- Leading Infringement Cases in the U.S./Global Markets of Fashion Brands
Module III: How and Why to Brand Supply Chains, Corporations, and B Corps
- How to Tell a Brand Story: The Supply Chain and The Purposeful Economy
- Branding the Corporation: Aligning Corporate Brands with Stakeholders
- Giving Back: Branding Your B-Corp, Charities and Fashion Foundations
Module IV: The Branded Corporation: How to Think Like a Brand Savvy CFO
- Understanding the Reporting (or Absence Of the Value of Brands on Balance Sheets
- The Myriad Financial Benefits of a Strong Brand
- Brand Valuation Methodologies in Mergers and Acquisitions
Module V: Branding Your Customer Relationship Mgt (CRM) and (CX) Platform
- Identifying and Creating Relationships with Your Most Valuable Customers
- Exploring the Impact of Brand Content and Context in the Customer Journey
- Brand Mgt. of Customer Relationships by Collaborative Customer Service
Module VI: Branding Strategies for Reinventing and Reinvigorating Retail
- The Brand Experience and Generating Customer Traffic
- Branding the Store, Location, Private Brands, Displays, and Service
- Site Location, Apps, and Geo Fencing: Marketing the Store Experience
Module VII: Capstone: Develop and Write Your Operational Brand Marketing Plan
- Apply Prior Modules... Customize a plan for your own business, or one that you’re thinking of starting or a division you work in or a brand you’d like to re-position, re-vitalize or re-purpose… Any type of business, business sector or vertical can be used.
- We will advise! One-on-One ½ to 1hr with each student prior to final presentation
- Prior seminar plans are provided plus templates for key plan sections
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit courses in fashion, business, design, computer technology, and marketing, as well as a range of certificate programs to help you enter and advance in the fashion and related industries. With short seminars, multi-session courses, and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.