So you love to draw. Let us show you what comes next.
When you enter today’s illustration field, you’re competing with a vast array of talented, experienced professionals with a long list of contacts. How can you make your mark?
First, know your art, your craft, and your tools, from traditional to technological. At FIT, you’ll master a wide range of media, from pencil-on-paper to state-of-the-art computer software. In hands-on classes taught by practicing illustrators, you’ll develop your artistic skills and gain the technical expertise to create illustrations that inform, inspire, and influence.
You’ll also learn the business of illustration, giving you as many options as possible in this challenging field. Unique to Illustration at FIT is a nine-course selection of computer classes, so you’ll be up-to-date in the skills many employers require. And you’ll have the option to specialize in either fashion or general illustration. This program, with its blend of tradition, technology, and entrepreneurship, is designed to help make you an effective visual communicator, prepared for careers in a range of industries, from advertising and media to retailing and the corporate world.
- The Illustration Department is closely affiliated with the Society of Illustrators, the industry’s top professional organization.
- Illustration students have won more than 50 awards in recent years in highly competitive student art exhibitions, including the prestigious Society of Illustrators’ Annual Scholarship Competition.
- Faculty members show their work in museums and galleries all over the world.
- In the BFA program, you’ll be mentored by art directors or illustrators who’ll critique your work and offer professional advice and support.
In this program, you’ll:
- take advantage of the rich resources of New York City, one of the world’s largest graphic art centers.
- develop a career-building network of contacts through industry events, competitions, and the Illustration Alumni Association.
- gain an international perspective on the global world of illustration through a study abroad course in Italy.