Fashion and textiles are particularly fragile objects. Touching the garments is strictly prohibited. To protect the Museum’s collection and exhibits, light levels are kept low and the following are not permitted in the Museum:
- Pens or markers (sketching in the galleries is permittedonly with pencil)
- Food and beverages (including water, candy and gum)
- Flash photography
- Selfie Sticks
- Movie and video cameras
- Luggage, oversized backpacks (including backpack child carriers), and carry-on bags
Small backpacks are permittedonlyif they are removed and carried by hand. Please note: The Museum at FIT doesNOThave a coat check or a storage area for items not permitted in the Museum. If you have luggage, you will not be permitted in the galleries.
Non-commercial still photography for personal use is now permitted in designated galleries. Flash, tripods, and selfie sticks are not allowed. At times photography may be prohibited in certain galleries or of specific objects due to lender’s restrictions.
The Museum requests that you:
- Silence your cell phones so that all visitors can enjoy the exhibit.
- Be watchful of small children. Strollers are permitted; however, the Museum and its staff reserve the right to restrict strollers in order to protect visitors and the exhibits.
- Adults must hold the hands of children under the age of six. No children should be placed on shoulders.
For press and other special photography, including film and video projects, please contact the Department of External Relations during business hours by phone ((212) 217-4700) or email: [email protected].
For requests to reproduce museum images for purposes other than private and noncommercial,
please visit the Rights and Reproductions page on our website.
For information on the Museum’s accessibility accommodations, please visit our Accessibility page. For other questions about your visit, please see Museum Group Tours, Area Attractions, or our FAQ page.