- Fashion Design BFA
The FIT Fashion Design program in Milan offers FIT students the option to study in Italy, absorbing a distinctive cultural perspective while preparing for a career without global boundaries. Students receive academic credit for the entire third and/or fourth years of their Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree Program. Classes are taught in English at Politecnico di Milano (PoliMi).
Knitwear & Sportswear
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health Insurance
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
Fashion Design: Rolling approvals (Year prior to study): Academic Year/Fall/Spring
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Completion of one semester of Italian: Students must have completed Italian 1 by the semester prior to their program start date.
- Fashion Design: 3rd or 4th year (BFA) - Participation is contingent upon acceptance to the BFA program
- Eligible students must obtain academic advisement and approval from their Study Abroad Faculty Coordinator
- Must maintain a minimum of 12 credits each semester
- Be qualified to obtain a Study Visa for Italy
- Portfolio requirement: Portfolios should include both fashion artwork and actual garments from Fashion Art and Apparel classes. Further instructions will be specified once the online application is submitted.
*Please note that field trip dates are yet to be confirmed. Finalized schedule will be posted when it becomes available.
Arrangements are made for students to stay for one month at one of the Politecnico di Milano Residence Halls. Students have the option of remaining there for the entire academic year or, can make their own arrangements with other suggested Politecnico di Milano residence halls. Many student also choose to lease apartments in and around Milan. Housing support will be given at orientation upon arrival in Milan.
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in Italy. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
- Coverage abroad: GeoBlue Study Abroad Insurance
*Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
Students currently studying in Milan for the 2016-2017 academic year will remain covered by HTH Worldwide insurance for the full duration of the program.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Gallagher insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Gallagher Student Health Insurance
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.