skip to con tent

FALL RETURN 2021:   Find details about FIT’s full return to campus for fall classes.

In this section

Study Abroad FAQ

What are the study abroad options for currently enrolled FIT students?

Refer to the following links to determine eligibility for study abroad programs.

AAS Fashion Design Program in Florence, Italy  
BFA Fashion Design Program in Milan, Italy  
BS Fashion Merchandising Management Program in Florence, Italy  
Liberal Arts in  Florence, Italy  
Summer Abroad Courses  
Winter Abroad Courses 
Semester Abroad Programs  
SUNY Semester Programs and CCIS Semester Programs (external links)

Why should I study abroad?

In today's global business environment, international experience is increasingly important. You need greater international awareness, foreign language skills, and an understanding of different cultures. The inclusion of study abroad programs on your resume is an asset, and FIT's many offerings can prepare you to live and work in a global community.

China, England, France, Italy, Hong Kong, Canada, and Australia are some of the locations where FIT study abroad courses are offered. Whether it's a short study course during the summer months or an entire semester overseas, you will have the opportunity to broaden your design sensibilities, sharpen your business sense, and stimulate new ideas about career choices. The OIP is available to help you explore these possibilities.

When should I begin planning to study abroad?

Start thinking about studying abroad early in your college career because it requires careful planning. For example, if you are planning to study abroad in your 3rd year, you will need to apply during your 2nd year.  If a study abroad course or program is not offered in your major, you may be able to apply credit toward related area courses, liberal arts electives, or free electives which you have not already fulfilled.

What if FIT doesn't offer abroad programs in the country/major of my choice?

In addition to FIT programs, students have a wide choice of opportunities to study abroad through programs offered by the State University of New York (SUNY) or the College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS). Programs and courses must be approved by your department. See the How to Apply page for the instructions on applying to a SUNY/CCIS program.

How can I find more in depth information about the study abroad program I am interested in?

Check the Meeting and Events Calendar regularly for upcoming information sessions.

What courses do I need to take before I study abroad?

All students need academic advisement to determine required coursework. You will be instructed to meet with the International Advisor or Chairperson of your major for advisement. See the Contact Us page.

Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

It depends on the program and your academic department. You must be in good academic standing and in most cases, a 3.0 is required. Students on academic probation are ineligible and are encouraged to apply once off probation.

If I am not an FIT student, am I eligible to apply to FIT summer/winter study abroad programs?

Non-FIT students may be eligible to apply for certain summer/winter study abroad courses. However, participation must be approved by the professor teaching the course. Interested parties should contact the instructor for more information about the course. Professor contact information can be found within the Summer and Winter course listings.

Is Financial Aid available to students applying to a study abroad program?

In most cases, yes. Financial aid may be available to students that participate in semester and academic year abroad programs, but not usually available for summer or winter abroad programs. The Financial Aid Office reviews requests for financial aid on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you are eligible. See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page for more opportunities.

How do I apply for a U.S. passport?

Information about obtaining, replacing, or renewing a U.S. passport can be found at the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Am I required to apply for a visa if I am accepted into a study abroad program?

Visa requirements vary from country to country and are updated on an ongoing basis. If a visa is required for full-time study abroad, the OIP will assist you in this process.

What are the health insurance requirements for study abroad students?

FIT requires all students participating in an FIT International program to have U.S.-based health insurance plus international insurance including accident, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains coverage. Two types of coverage are required:

1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.

  • Coverage abroad: United Healthcare - Student Resources Study Abroad Insurance
    *Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.

2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.


  • Each country may require additional health insurance. Contact the OIP for more information.
  • Personal health insurance policies must provide coverage for the entire duration of your time abroad.
  • Please remember that all health-related services abroad must be paid for at the time of service and are often reimbursed afterwards by your insurance provider. 

How do I register for FIT classes for the semester I will be abroad?

The OIP will add a special permit for you to register at FIT for the semester you will be abroad and a code for you to enter will be provided to you at the time of registration. 

How do I register for FIT classes for the semester after I am abroad?

Students accepted to study abroad are enrolled at FIT and remain in full-time status during their time abroad. This will enable you to register for the following semester online during the assigned registration period. Pre-registration information is always sent to the students by the Office of the Registrar via the student's FIT email address. In addition, relevant registration announcements and available course schedules are always kept updated on the MyFIT student portal. Business office, medical office, registration or library holds will prevent all students from being able to register for their subsequent semester.

When are the informational meetings and pre-departure orientation meetings scheduled for study abroad programs?

See the meeting and orientation schedule.