Working remotely? In addition to weekly workshops being offered by the Office of Online Learning, the CET, and IT, here are some resources
available to help you teach remotely using Blackboard and other recommended tools.
You can watch videos of recent workshops and view Tips for Teaching During the Covid-19 Outbreak.
How to Access Blackboard
You can access Blackboard (Bb) with your FIT username and password at http://fitnyc.open.suny.edu.
As long as your department has assigned you as the instructor of your course in Banner, your course will appear in Blackboard. Look for your courses under “My Courses” (once you log in).
If you have never used Blackboard please start with Blackboard Basics.
- How to Make Your Courses Available to Students (Students will not see your course until you make it available)
- How to View Your Roster
- Create an Announcement in Your Course
- Add Content to Your Course
- Create an Assignment This is where students hand in assignments for you to review and grade
- Create a Test
- Take Attendance in your Course Using Qwickly
- Set up Your Blackboard Grade Center
- Managing How Grades are Displayed to Students
- Working With Groups in Blackboard
Tools for Lectures
Synchronous Real-Time Sessions
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra: For Real-Time Communication with Students (these sessions can be recorded for replay):
- Getting Started: How to Create a Synchronous Collaborate Session in Blackboard
- Conducting Student Presentations Using Blackboard Collaborate
- How to Access Your Class Recordings
Google Meet: Another Tool for Real-Time Communication with Students (supported by IT):
Create asynchronous lectures and discussions with students:
- Getting started: How to create an Asynchronous Presentation using Voicethread
- Detailed instructions for advanced use of VoiceThread
- Join a VoiceThread Tour led by Jeffrey Riman
- How to use Blackboard Discussion Forums to provide asynchronous written discussions
Create screen captures and lectures to share with students:
Resources for Students
- Strategies for Success in Remote Courses
- Blackboard Collaborate Tutorial for Students
- Voicethread Tutorial for Students
If you need assistance with Blackboard, call the Open SUNY help desk (open 7 days per week) at 1-844-673-6786 during the following hours:
Monday - Friday 7:00AM-12:00AM Midnight EST
Saturday 10:00AM-5:00PM EST
Sunday 1:00PM-9:00PM EST
If you are having trouble with your FIT Username and Password, call IT for FIT at 212-217-4357