Prepare for Graduation
To prepare for graduation, you should do the following:
- Pick Up Your Cap and Gown
Barnes & Noble at FIT has extended its regalia pickup days through May 23. If you missed the deadline to order online, you may purchase your regalia during pickup days at the bookstore. Find hours listed below.
- Schedule Your Commencement Portrait
You may schedule a commencement portrait session online with Thornton Studios or by calling (212) 647-1966. Please use code: studio.
- Learn About Your Diploma
Review information about receiving your diploma.
- Explore Local Accomodations for Any Visiting Guests
Visit our Getting to FIT page for a list of hotels near campus if overnight accommodations are needed for friends or family who plan to celebrate your graduation with you.
Academic Regalia (Cap and Gown)
Academic attire—the traditional cap, gown, and tassel—is required for all students participating in commencement exercises. ALL graduates are required to purchase academic attire.
If you ordered your cap and gown and you plan to pick it up at Barnes & Noble on campus,
- Due to supply chain issues and shipping delays as well as a record number of students
buying their regalia in person, the bookstore has added dates and extended the hours of its cap and gown distribution. Find the additional dates/hours below:
- Thursday, May 19: 10 am–7 pm
- Friday, May 20: 11 am–3 pm
- Saturday, May 21: 10 am–2 pm
- Monday, May 23: 10 am–7 pm
If you missed the original deadline to order your cap and gown:
- Regalia may be purchased directly from Barnes & Noble at FIT by stopping by the bookstore during the extended cap and gown pickup days listed above: May 19–21, 23.
- The bookstore will also have a pop-up shop at Central Park with a small stock of caps and gowns. However, it is highly recommended that you purchase your regalia on campus because size availability cannot be assured if you wait until then.
- The cost of an associate's or bachelor's degree cap, gown, and tassel is $50.98, plus shipping and handling. The standard domestic shipping charge for each order is $7.95; international shipping is $29.95.
All academic attire is made from sustainable materials, supporting the continued efforts of FIT in environmental sustainability.
Your Ticket and Guest Tickets
The ticket reservations window has closed. No further additions or changes will be accepted.
Five separate in-person commencement ceremonies will be held over two days—Tuesday and Wednesday, May 24 and 25. Each ceremony is expected to last approximately 90 minutes and will include some of FIT’s commencement traditions, including your walk across the stage. All ceremonies will be similar in capacity, programming, and length.
“See Tickets” will email your electronic tickets to your FIT email address one week prior to the ceremony you select. All guests age 2 and up require a ticket for admission.
All ceremonies will be livestreamed for family and friends to view.
Transfer of tickets is not allowed for any event.
Students may schedule a commencement portrait session online with Thornton Studios or by calling (212) 647-1966. FIT's school code is 02866.
Island Photography will provide professional photo coverage during the event. They will be taking portraits of all graduates who attend the commencement ceremonies and will capture all students twice.
In addition to having the option to purchase photo packages from Island, graduates can also order a complimentary 5x7 photo as a gift from FIT. Island will contact graduates via text and email within two to three days after the event, students will receive a link and PIN by email with instructions to view and order photos. There is no obligation to purchase. Additionally, within five days after the ceremony, students will receive complimentary hard copy proofs and an order form from Island Photography via U.S. mail.
Further details will be posted when available. This page last updated: May 19, 2022.