Policies, Contracts, Withdrawal Information and Forms
You are part of the FIT Community. The FIT Residential Life Office is committed to the concept of building a healthy community. What does this mean? In a word: responsibility.
Responsibility for oneself. Along with the new found freedoms of college comes the responsibility of making choices: choices of lifestyle, study habits, friends, relationships, social experiences, and finances.
- You are expected to exercise self-discipline and good judgment, and to take responsibility for your decisions and behaviors.
- You are responsible for making individual decisions that do not infringe on the rights of other residents or roommates. We ask roommates to sign a roommate agreement. Roommate agreements are completed in conjuction with the Resident Assistant (RA) on your floor. For a questions about the roommate agreement, you should see the RA on your floor.
- You are responsible for the daily care of your room. This includes bed making, tidiness, cleaning and personal laundry.
Responsibility for the floor and building. FIT residents are expected to take an active role in shaping and running their residence hall environment, planning floor and building activities and possibly serving in leadership positions. This means participating in floor meetings and activities, getting to know other residents and looking out for them, and holding each other responsible for behavior that detracts from the living environment.
Responsibility for conduct. Policies and procedures governing student conduct are outlined in the Resident Handbook (.pdf), and they are strictly enforced. Your signature on the Residence Contract (.pdf) indicates your willingness to live by the rules and standards outlined therein.
- FIT is a dry campus. Alcohol and/or drug use is prohibited on campus, including in the residence halls.
- Smoking is not permitted in any indoor area of the campus. Smoking is also prohibited outside on campus property, including the breezeway between the A and B buildings, terraces, and any areas under an FIT overhang. Not included are the sidewalks or the street, which, as public property are not subject to FIT jurisdiction.
Policy and Procedure Details
- Form must be printed out and completed by resident
- Form must be returned within 3 business days from the date on the conduct letter
- Form must be returned to either
Kaufman Hall Residential Life Office located in Kaufman Lobby
27th Street Residential Life Office located in Alumni Lobby
For more detailed information regarding the appeal process, please refer to the Resident Handbook (.pdf).
FIT shall not be liable or otherwise responsible for any loss or damage of personal property for either a resident or guest.
Coverage of personal belongings under parent’s/guardian’s home owners or renters insurance is advised. Insurance for student property specifically designed for college residents is recommended. Insurance brochures are available in the Residential Life Office. FIT is not affiliated with any of these insurance providers.
The work order system is for maintenance requests only. A work order is a request related to space maintenance that can usually be completed within a time frame of 1-7 days.
IT/Cable TV requests should be submitted with FIT TechHelp (212-217-4357).
Maintenance work orders can be placed by using our online work order system. To create a work order:
- Log into your MyFIT account.
- Under Web Resources, choose “Facilities Maintenance Work Order Request”.
- Choose your maintenance work order type under “Work Orders” tab.
- Complete your new work order request, and click “Save.”
- Now, your work order is “open” and a building and grounds representative will address it at their earliest convenience.
For further details, please see the full work order guide (.pdf).
How to Follow up on a Work Order
You may follow up on a work order by contacting the UG2 department at extension 4420 and speaking with a representative. Please have your work order number ready for reference. Please note that this system is monitored during normal business hours.
Should you have any severe emergencies (gas smells, water leaks, power failure, lack of heat, etc.), please contact our Public Safety Emergency Number immediately at (212)-217-7777.