Move-in support guests
- Residents can have 2 move-in support guests to help them move in on their move in date ONLY.
- All move-in support guests must be vaccinated or have proof of a negative Covid Test.
- All move-in support guests must depart the Residence Hall no later than 10pm from on the day of your check in
- Move-in support guests are not allowed to come multiple dates and are only allowed on the date the resident is moving in.
- All move-in support guests must wear masks at all times inside our residence halls.
Returning Student Move In - Saturday & Sunday August 27th and August 28th
Due to the high volume of traffic during move in, we can not permit students to swap between a Saturday and Sunday move in date. If you can not arrive on campus during your designated time you may either arrive early or after 1:30PM on Sunday, August 28. For more information see below.
Early Arrivals & International Students
We understand that some students may need to arrive on Friday, August 26, 2022 between 9AM-5PM. To apply for this you will complete our early arrival form. Once you have completed the form we will reach out to you confirming or denying your request. Returning students may NOT move in August 20 or August 21, 2022.
If confirmed, we will provide next step instructions to complete your move in time slot via your myHousing portal.
International students are welcome to move in early in order to accommodate their flights and travel needs. Please complete the early arrival form.
Please note that students who are moving in early accept the following conditions:
- Parking on campus is not guaranteed and unloading cars is at your own risk. FIT is not responsible for tickets or towing. We STRONGLY discourage cars for early arrivals.
- Students will be provided hand carts not moving bins to help them bring in their items.
If you are unable to arrive during your designated time slot, you can sign up for a late arrival for Sunday, 1:30PM to 10PM or Monday - Friday from 9AM-5PM or 7PM-10PM. If you sign up for a late arrival, please do not arrive prior to 1:30PM on Sunday August, 28, 2022 or you may be turned away. Complete our late arrival form if you are interested in coming later.
Please note that students who are moving in late accept the following conditions:
- Parking on campus is not guaranteed and unloading cars is at your own risk. FIT is not responsible for tickets or towing. We STRONGLY discourage cars for late arrivals.
- Students will be provided hand carts not moving bins to help them bring in their items.
Arriving by Car
Please note, these instructions are only applicable for students arriving during their originally designated time slots. Students arriving early or late will not have access to the parking lot behind Kaufman Hall.
Closer to move in, students will receive a parking pass for their designated move in time. Upon arrival at FIT, students will present this to the public safety officer.
How to line up with a car:
- Head East across 34th Street
- Turn right onto 9th Avenue
- Turn right onto Dyer Ave/lot access street
- Present this check-in email via phone or a print out to Public Safety
- When exiting the lot, please be certain to turn left onto 31st street. If you continue on Dyer Avenue, you will enter Lincoln Tunnel.
After you check in at the check in tent you will be directed to unload your car. Please note the following rules on unloading your vehicle:
- You must arrive at your assigned check-in time (no exceptions) If you arrive outside of your move-in time, you will be turned away. Please plan your travel accordingly.
- Once you turn into the parking lot behind Kaufman Hall, Public Safety will direct your vehicle to an available unloading spot.
- During your assigned move-in time, please make sure to bring only what may fit into two moving bins as any additional items must be brought at a later date. Cars may only remain in the parking lot for a maximum of 45 minutes
- One person must stay with the car at all times. The vehicle should be moved off the block immediately after unloading.
- You will check-in with the RA on your floor, who will provide check-in materials including your key and ID.
Arriving by Public Transit
If a student is arriving without a vehicle, please stop at the check-in tent. They will then be instructed to check-in with the RA on their floor, who will provide check-in materials including keys and ID.
|Must Arrive to Campus||Rooms|
|August 28 between 5:30-6:30PM||100 - 114|
|August 28 between 4:30-5:30PM||120 - 138|
|August 28 between 3- 4PM||200 - 216|
|August 28 between 2-3PM||217 - 233|
|August 28 between 1-2PM||300 - 317|
|August 28 between 12-1PM||318 - 333|
|August 28 between 10-11AM||400 - 417|
|August 28 between 9:30-10:30AM||418 - 433|
|August 27 between 5:30-6:30PM||500 - 516|
|August 27 between 4:30-5:30PM||517 - 533|
|August 27 between 3:30-4:30PM||600 - 617|
|August 27 between 2-3PM||618 - 633|
|August 27 between 12:30 - 1:30PM||700 - 717|
|August 27 between 11-12PM||718 - 733|
|August 27 between 10-11AM||800 - 815|
|August 27 between 9-10AM||816 - 833|
|August 28 between 12:30-1:30PM||900 - 917|
|August 28 between 11:30-12:30PM||918 - 933|
|August 28 between 10:30-11:30AM||1000 - 1018|
|August 28 between 9:30-10:30AM||1019 - 1033|
|August 27 between 4:30-5:30PM||1100 - 1117|
|August 27 between 3:30-4:30PM||1118 - 1133|
|August 27 between 2:30-3:30PM||1200 - 1217|
|August 27 between 1:30-2:30PM||1218 - 1233|
|August 27 between 12:30-1:30PM||1300 - 1317|
|August 27 between 11:30-12:30PM||1318 - 1333|
|August 27 between 10:30-11:30AM||1400 - 1417|
|August 27 between 9:30-10:30AM||1418 - 1432|
In the event that there are changes to these instructions, FIT personnel will direct you to the proper check-in area upon arrival.
Please limit the number of people you bring with you (over 1,000 people will be accessing one NYC block).
There is no parking on the street. Cars will be given access to unload only. Parked cars will be towed by NYC police.
Once your vehicle enters the check-in area:
- Unload the car immediately.
- One person must then move the car to another street or a parking lot.
- One person must stay with possessions until the resident has been checked in.
Individuals with qualified disabilities who require modification to the move-in procedures and schedule are urged to contact the Residential Life Department at (212) 217-3900 as early as possible to make special arrangements. (Residents who need special living accommodations must also inform the FIT-ABLE/Disability Services Office).
Important: There is no overnight visitation during move-in week, closing and exam weeks. NO exceptions. Residents must move into the residence halls at their specified day and time. Arrivals after 11 pm will not be processed and it is suggested you make hotel or other arrangements.
Your FIT Card is a campus ID card and debit card for services in the library, PrintFX,
cafeteria, and other offices. Your FIT Card is required for access into all campus
facilities including the Residence Halls. New students attending orientation will
have a photo taken and be issued a card at that time.
Each semester residents will receive a new validation sticker for their ID upon check in.
A lost, stolen, or damaged FIT Card may be reported in person by visiting the Residential Life Office during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5 pm. Please report a lost or stolen FIT Card immediately.
All students, faculty, and staff members are issued their first card free of charge. A fee of $25 is charged if your card is lost or stolen OR for convenience changes, such as a name change or new photo.
Residents are expected to lock their door and carry their key and ID whenever they leave the room no matter how short a period of time. There are charges assessed to residents who lock themselves out of their room.
27th Street Residents
- Fall: 27th Street residents will receive a room key at check in
- Spring: new 27th Street residents will receive a room key; returning 27th street residents keep their room key over the holiday break
Kaufman Hall Residents
- Fall: Kaufman Hall residents will receive a key card for room access at check in
- Spring: new Kaufman residents will receive a key card for room access; returning Kaufman residents keep their key card over the holiday break and exchange for a new key card at spring check in
As you prepare to move into your home away from home; there are a few things to think about before you start packing.
What should you pack?
What are the orientation requirements?
Check out our move-in video!
You will be moving into a room furnished with:
- a bed (standard twin size mattress)
- desk and chair
- suites also include a dining table with chairs, bathroom, and kitchen. NO ADDITIONAL FURNITURE IS ALLOWED.
Internet access is available in all residence halls. To ensure you can connect your devices to the FIT Network, review the Self-Service Articles:
DO NOT BRING TOO MUCH STUFF. Remember living space in NYC is very limited and the residence halls are no exception. Your room already has the essentials and there is no storage space for belongings. Seasonal clothing can be shipped back and forth from home.
CARRY ALL ITEMS THAT YOU WILL NEED UPON ARRIVAL (check in with items such as bed linens, medication, etc. in an overnight bag or a suitcase).
Packages including other itmes may not arrive more than seven days before you arrive. There is a limit of three (3) packages per resident, 70-pound limit per package, largest dimension not to exceed 36 inches.
Packages can be picked up in Business and Liberal Arts Center, Room BC03A (basement) for residents living on 27th Street and in the Kaufman basement for students living in Kaufman Hall.
c/o (your name), Alumni Hall, 210 West 27th Street, Room #,
New York, New York 10001-5950.
c/o (your name), Coed Hall, 230 West 27th Street, Room #,
New York, New York 10001-5910.
c/o (your name), Nagler Hall, 220 West 27th Street, Room #,
New York, New York 10001-5911.
c/o (your name), Kaufman Hall, 406 West 31st Street. Mailbox #,
New York, New York 10001-4611.
Mail Room Hours
Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm (closed Saturdays, Sundays, holidays)
NOTE: Please advise family and friends NOT TO send cash or checks via mail service. The best way to send money is to have it deposited in your savings or checking account.