Students are invited to tryout two Virtual Reality (VR) Stations located on the 6th floor of the Library. VR is a creative tool, a way to play and explore, a mode for transporting one's self into different virtual worlds.
Before students can use these resources, they must complete the Student VR Stations Orientation, which is designed to introduce students to the policies and procedures that ensure proper and safe use of the VR equipment and software.
Orientation Details for Fall 2019 Semester:
There are three-to-four VR Orientations scheduled per semester; Orientations are held during the Common Hour (either Tuesdays or Thursdays) 1pm-2pm.
Once you complete the orientation you will be provided instructions for reserving a slot to use the Student VR Station.
To register select one of the dates below:
- Orientation 1, Thursday, September 19, 2019 - Rm E601, Library , 6th fl
- Orientation 2, Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - Rm E601, Library , 6th fl
- Orientation 3, Thursday, November 7, 2019 - Rm E601, Library , 6th fl
- HTC Vive Pro System
- Oculus Rift
- Student VR Stations are located inside the FIT Library's open space on the 6th floor of the Library, in the Goodman Center.
- Monday - Thursday: 9am - 10pm - latest reservation at 8pm
- Friday: 9am-7pm - latest reservation at 5pm
- Saturday: 12pm-7pm - latest reservation at 5pm
- Sunday: 12pm-8:30pm - latest reservation at 6:30pm
These hours will vary during planned and unplanned College and Library closures, during holidays, recesses, and Summer and Winter semesters. Visit https://www.fitnyc.edu/library/ to view Library hours.
- Mandatory Student VR Station Orientation completion is required before student can
start using VR. At this orientation student will sign "Student VR Station User Agreement"
which requires to:
- Ask for help when student is uncertain of what to do, or how to operate equipment - Lab Monitor is the first person to approach
- Report accidents and injuries immediately to Student Monitors, Security Officer or Staff
- Use safety guidelines as shown in the orientation
- Work and behave in a way that protects the safety of the student and others
- Take responsibility for their belongings
- Not allow anyone else to use VR equipment checked out by the student, or let anyone be in the Activity Area
- Take financial responsibility for all equipment checked out and used by the student, and for replacement of any item that is damaged or not returned
- Leave food and drinks outside of the VR Activity Area
- Use the VR Stations for VR related activities only
- Respect and abide by all guidelines and policies, and the terms of the User Agreement covering intellectual property, lawful purposes and more (VR User Agreement, page 2)
- The Student VR Stations are available to current FIT students with valid FIT ID's, after they have completed mandatory Student VR Station orientation
- A current FIT email address is needed to complete the Electronic Reservation Form
for one of the two VR Stations.
- Please note: Access to the Reservations Site will be granted on individual basis after attending the VR User Orientation and signing the User Agreement.
- Reservations are required, and can be made up to 14 days in advance; same day reservations are permitted.
- Student will receive a confirmation email upon acceptance of the reservation, student will be asked to present this email upon arrival.
- If student arrives late they can still use VR, but they are required to end their activity and return the equipment at the end of their reserved time.
- Student VR Stations can be booked by the hour for a 2 hour long session.
- Students are encouraged to contact the ITDP - Innovative Technology & Digital Production team with questions about policies and reservations or anything else related to the Student VR Stations by calling (212) 217-4379 or email [email protected]