Goodman Center - 5th floor
Seventh Avenue at 27 Street
New York, NY 10001-5992
Recorded Info 212 217.4340
Library Directors' Office Telephone 212 217.4370
Fax 212 217.4371
FIT's Library supports the academic and research needs of the FIT community. A well-selected collection of more than 197,000 volumes of print materials (and over 300,000 combined print, non-print, and electronic) supports the instructional programs in art and design, business and technology, liberal arts and our Graduate School. Collections also include specialized electronic and digital resources and materials not often found in conventional academic libraries, such as the fashion and trend forecasting services, sketch collections, clipping files, and fashion show DVDs. Our newspapers and periodicals include more than 400 current subscriptions and extensive back issue runs. Databases, provided by FIT, SUNYConnect, and the New York State Library, provide access to thousands of full-text journal articles, books, images, research reports and other resources. Most are available remotely.
Special areas and projects include: Special Collections with scrapbooks, archives, illustrations, and other primary research material in their original formats; the Interior Design Resource Center, a professional-level product literature collection; and the FIT Digital Image Library (FITDIL), a database of approximately 99,000 digital images.
As a member of local, state, and international consortia, the Library participates in resource-sharing programs including the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) and the SUNY Libraries consortium. Through SUNY's Open Access Policy our students have access to and borrowing privileges at all other SUNY libraries.
FIT Library is committed to creating user-centered physical and virtual spaces that support and advance our diverse community's learning, teaching and research effort.
- We build, organize, preserve and provide access to materials that meet and anticipate general and specialized curricular needs, enhance unique collecting strengths, and documents the College's history.
- We teach research and critical thinking skills that can be applied in study, learning, careers and everyday life.
- We investigate, assess and implement innovative services and programs that will measurably facilitate and enrich the learning experience.
FIT Library's mission, goals and strategies are continually evaluated to mirror the goals of the College's strategic planning.
- FIT Library supports the specialized curriculum of the College and is a leader in information literacy efforts in order to prepare our students for the global 21st century.
- We are committed to serving our students and faculty in both the physical and virtual environments by accommodating their user needs for physical space and materials as well as seamless access to databases and other electronic resources.
- We are flexible in adapting to rapidly changing technologies in order to provide resources in all appropriate media for a diverse student population.