How to Access Blackboard
You can access Blackboard (Bb) with your FIT username and password at http://fitnyc.open.suny.edu.
As long as your department has assigned you as the instructor of your course in Banner, your course will appear in Blackboard. Look for your courses under “My Courses” after you log in.
If you have never used Blackboard please start with Blackboard Basics (google slides).
- How to Make Your Courses Available to Students (Students will not see your course until you make it available)
- How to View Your Roster
- Create an Announcement in Your Course
- Add Content to Your Course
- Create an Assignment This is where students hand in assignments for you to review and grade
- Create a Test video
- Create a Test (google slides) presentation
- Blackboard Tests Instructor Guide (google doc) This guide covers how to import a test, how to deploy a test, and recommended test settings
- Take Attendance in your Course Using Qwickly (google slides)
- Set up Your Blackboard Grade Center
- Managing How Grades are Displayed to Students
- Working With Groups in Blackboard
- Create an online syllabus (.pdf) using the FIT Concourse Digital Syllabus (also known as Syllabus Connect) template.
Please contact the CET with your questions or comments at (212) 217-4063.
Instructor Course Tours
Synchronous Real-Time Sessions
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra: For Real-Time Communication with Students (these sessions can be recorded for replay):
- Getting Started: How to Create a Synchronous Collaborate Session in Blackboard (google doc)
- Conducting Student Presentations Using Blackboard Collaborate (google doc)
- How to Access Your Class Recordings (google doc)
Google Meet: Another Tool for Real-Time Communication with Students (supported by IT):
Create asynchronous lectures and discussions with students:
- Getting started: How to create an Asynchronous Presentation using VoiceThread (google doc)
- Detailed instructions for advanced use of VoiceThread
- Join a VoiceThread Tour led by Jeffrey Riman
- How to use Blackboard Discussion Forums to provide asynchronous written discussions
- Creating Virtual Boards with Padlet (google doc)
Create screen captures and lectures to share with students:
For user name and password problems, students must contact FIT's TechHelp.
For general assistance using Blackboard, they may contact the Academic Skills Tutoring Center.
If students are having problems with registration (e.g., if they were dropped from the course for non-payment), they should contact:
Blackboard automatically creates course shells once your name has been entered in Banner for a particular course. If you do not see your course listed in your courses nugget, please contact your department secretary to have your name entered in Banner.
Yes, students can contact the Academic Skills Tutoring Center for tutoring.
See: Proctor Guidelines
Need Blackboard Help?
If you need assistance with Blackboard, contact the SUNY Online Support Services Help Desk (open 7 days per week) at 1-844-673-6786 during the following hours:
Monday–Friday: 7 am–Midnight EST
Saturday: 10 am–8 pm EST
Sunday: 10 am–9 pm EST
If you are having trouble with your FIT Username and Password, contact FIT's TechHelp.