skip to con tent

In this section

IRS Data Retrieval, IRS Tax Transcripts, Federal Tax Returns, and Verification of Nonfiling

IRS Data Retrieval

Students and parents who have already filed their IRS tax return will be able to select the IRS Data Retrieval (DRT) option on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to transfer tax information to the FAFSA. We strongly encourage you to select this option when you apply or when subsequent corrections are made to your FAFSA.  This option will streamline and expedite the processing of your financial aid application. According to the IRS, this tool cannot be used until:

    3 weeks after electronically filing tax returns
    up to 11 weeks after filing paper tax returns 

When either a parent or student selects the IRS Data Retrieval option, the FAFSA Central Processing System (CPS) will conduct a data match with the IRS. As the federal income tax filer, you will be redirected to a secure IRS website, where you will permit the IRS to transfer income data to the FAFSA. Data that is successfully matched will be marked on the FAFSA with the following notation, "Transferred from the IRS". This process avoids reporting errors and processing delays that can otherwise occur when the option is not selected.

If your FAFSA is selected for verification, using the IRS Retrieval Tool is the best option.  If you have not already used the Data Retrieval Tool, log back into your FAFSA record and select "Make FAFSA Corrections". Then, navigate to the Financial Information section of the form and  follow the instructions to determine if you, or your parent, are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer the IRS income tax information. Some reasons that you may not choose this option:

  • Your (or your parents) marital status changed after December 31st of the income tax year
  • You (or your parent) filed married filing separately
  • You (or your parent) filed an amended tax return *  
  • You (or your parent) filed a foreign tax return.  

For More detailed instructions on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) see the IRS Data Retrieval Tool Steps (.pdf).

IRS Tax Return Transcripts

To obtain your IRS Tax Return Transcripts you can go directly to IRS Get Transcripts.

*However, if an amended tax return was filed, BOTH an IRS Tax Return Transcript and a copy of your 1040X Form are needed for verification to be completed.

For more detailed instructions on how to obtain IRS Transcripts see the IRS Tax Return Transcript Transcript Steps (.pdf).

Federal Tax Returns

If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA or obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript, you may submit a signed copy of your federal tax return to Financial Aid Services.  You must submit a complete signed copy of all pages of your tax return including all schedules.

Verification of Non-Filing

If you are required to submit proof of nonfiling, you can complete the IRS Form 4506-T and submit that form directly to the IRS. Below are tips to complete your form:

  • Do not fill out an address in section 5 (mailing transcript to a third party); proof of non-filing cannot be mailed to a third party and must go to the student/parent's home address.
  • Check of box 7: Verification of Nonfiling.
  • Section 9 - be sure to fill out the correct tax year 
  • Check of the Signatory box above the signature line.
  • Sign your form.
  • Mailing and faxing information is on the back (second page) of the 4056-T form under "Chart for all other transcripts" in the middle column.
  • You will receive the proof of non-filing in approximately 10 business days.  Please make a copy of your proof of nonfiling, put the student ID number on it and sent it to Financial Aid Services by mail or fax.

If after ten (10) days you have not received the Verification of Nonfiling from the IRS, you may submit a signed "Statement of Nonfiling" instead.  If you are submitting proof of nonfiling for parents, a "Statement of Nonfiling" must be submitted for each parent that did not file.  If you are submitting  proof of nonfiling for an independent student, a "Statement of Nonfiling" must be submitted for both the student and the spouse if they did not file.

Mail:                                                           Fax: (212) 217-3561         Email: [email protected]
Fashion Institute of Technology                                                           You cannot email tax information. You may fax or email your
Financial Aid Services                                                                           tax information to Financial Aid Services.
227 West 27th Street
Room A212A
New York, NY 10001-5992