The Office of Media Relations operates as a central clearinghouse to coordinate, evaluate, and manage all aspects of the college's interaction with the media. The office’s mandate is to enhance and advance the reputation, brand, and image of the Fashion Institute of Technology and to support the college's strategic priorities, as well as to assist individuals with their interactions with the media.
All interactions with the media that involve the name of the college are handled by the Office of Media Relations. Individuals or departments that are contacted directly by a member of the media should promptly forward the name, media outlet, and contact information to this office for vetting before engaging with the reporter. The staff of the Office Media Relations is highly experienced in interacting with reporters, understanding the nuances of requests, and handling requests in a timely manner to meet the media's deadlines.
The Office of Media Relations arranges and supervises all filming and photographing that take place on campus, including but not limited to that conducted by members of the media, FIT partners, guest lecturers and performers, TV shows, movies, and others. Filming and photography cannot take place without the presence of a staff member from the Office of Media Relations.
The office distributes information to the media about every area of the college, including but not limited to institutional stories, public programs, events, program and curriculum developments, faculty and student achievements, contests, and exhibitions and programs at The Museum at FIT.
In addition to identifying and pitching newsworthy stories and responding to media inquiries, the office secures interviews with FIT faculty and spokespersons for print and online articles, television, and radio that position them as experts in their fields. The office also generates and disseminates press materials and pitches for the colleges numerous activities and accomplishments, invites media to attend and cover events, and acts as press liaison at events.
The Office of Media Relations approves any press materials, prior to their being issued, developed by FIT faculty and staff, as well as by external parties in conjunction with events and/or partnerships with FIT.
In the event of a crisis, Media Relations serves as FIT's media liaison, providing timely and accurate information to the press.
The office monitors media coverage of FIT and the FIT community. This coverage is shared with the FIT community and the public via FIT in the News, which is issued weekly. The office is also centrally involved in the content of FIT Newsroom and Newsroom Direct.
Contact us to:
- refer inquiries from the media that you have received;
- refer anyone who would like to film or photograph on campus;
- share news that is of potential interest to the media and FIT community;
- add your name and area of expertise to our list of experts;
- submit requests for press releases, media advisories and/or other media-related collateral; or
- report any inaccuracies in the media regarding FIT.
In order to work most effectively with the media and meet their deadlines, please follow this timeline:
- Refer all requests from the media to us immediately, as they are typically deadline driven.
- Submit requests to draft or edit press releases and/or media advisories no less than three weeks in advance of the event.
- Submit detailed information about public events or programs you would like to have listed in media calendars no less than eight weeks in advance.
- Submit detailed information about events or programs that you would like to receive coverage no less than six weeks in advance, after you have received clearance from your dean to do so.