Job Search Websites
There are numerous websites that have excellent articles on job searching and careers. Some of the best websites include:
Career Services Handouts
- Organizing Your Job Hunt
- Resume Guide
- Cover Letter Guide
- Prepare for the Interview
- How to Negotiate Your Salary
- Evaluating A Job Offer
For more handouts, please visit our office in Business and Liberal Arts Center, Room B202.
General Job Hunting Help
- Resources for Workers with Disabilities
- LibGuide: Careers: the FIT Library's extensive career bibliography, internet guide, and research guide
- Recommended List of Legal Referrals: compiled by FIT's General Counsel
- New York Public Library (NYPL) Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) Resources
- NYPL SIBL Resource: Careers
- Freelancers Union: A national membership organization (membership is free) that offers support and advocacy for freelancers via resources, templates, live events, group insurance plans, a community area and other perks of interest to self-employed independent workers
- Fashion Group International: Fashion Group International is a global non-profit association of over 6,000 professionals of achievement and influence representing all areas of the fashion, apparel, accessories, beauty and home industries.
- Garment District Alliance: The Garment District Alliance, formerly The Fashion Center Business Improvement District, serves New York's garment district.
- FIT Library's Fashion Research Guides (by Subject)
- WWD: Often called the fashion bible, Women's' Wear Daily serves as the voice of authority, international newswire, and agent of change for the fashion, beauty, and retail industries.
- Just-Style: The online portal for apparel/textile industry professionals around the world.
- StyleCareers: A networking website for students.
- University HQ: Free educational and career resource with fashion degree information, a guide to explore other careers, resources for other degree programs in over 1200 schools nationwide, financial aid, career paths, jobs, and industry info.
Art and Design
- Artrepreneur: Artrepreneur provides professional development resources for visual arts disciplines.
- Gen Art: The leading arts and entertainment organization dedicated to showcasing emerging fashion designers, filmmakers, musicians and visual artists.
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts: Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts provides pro bono legal services, education and advocacy to the New York arts community.
- New York Foundation for the Arts: The New York Foundation for the Arts provides a free national resource for visual, media, performing, and literary artists and for those who support them in any way.
- FIT Library's The Business of Art & Design Research Guide
Advertising and Marketing
- Media Bistro: A website dedicated to everyone who creates or works with content, or who is a non-creative professional working in a content/creative industry.
- FIT Library's Advertising & Media Communications Research Guide
Seminars and Workshops
- Center for Communication: A series of media seminars, free to students.
- NYFA (New York Foundation for the Arts): NYFA offers a variety of professional development workshops, panels, and conferences for artists working in all disciplines. The workshops provide artists at all experience levels with professional development on a wide variety of aspects concerning their life, art work, and professional career in the arts.