Visit the Library: FAQ
The Library expects to be closed to outside researchers (including alumni) through the 2022/2023 academic year. Current SUNY students, staff, and faculty may access the Library. Members of the SUNY community must present a current SUNY ID to the Public Safety officer in the Goodman lobby to visit the Library. Information below is retained here for future reference only.
If you fit the definition of a visitor according to the FIT Policy on Library Visitors, please submit an online Research Appointment Request at least one day in advance of your requested date. (Form temporarily disabled through May 2023).
- WiFi access is available. Request login information at the Periodicals Services Desk. You will not be able to connect to printers.
- Visitors are required to bring their own device: laptop, tablet, etc.
- Free-standing scanners are available for no charge on a first-come, first-served basis. Due to limited resources, we may restrict the amount of time a visitor may use our equipment.
- Because of licensing restrictions, some print and online materials are for use by currently-registered FIT students and faculty only---no exceptions. These include (but are not limited to) current print and online forecasting & trend services (Fashion Snoops, WGSN, etc.) and some media and market research studies (MRI+, Mintel, etc).
- Check Databases for Visitors for a list of online resources that you will be able to access if you visit the FIT library (list subject to change).
- Only current FIT students, faculty & employees can access FIT databases remotely. See Online Resources for Non-FIT Students and Other Libraries You Can Use for alternate recommendations.
- Contact us if you are not sure if we have what you need or if you will be allowed to use specific materials or services.
- Visitors may only use materials in the Library; borrowing for use outside the Library is not permitted.
- The METRO (Metropolitan New York Library Council) referral program allows library users from a participating member college or other institution to have access to another member library’s collections for items not available at their own library or at the New York Public Library.
- If you are a current student or employee at a New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut college or university, check if your school is a member.
- If it is, you will be required to get a referral from your institution's librarian before you visit the FIT Library. A METRO referral is for a single day's visit and for on-site use only of books or other items.
- Once you have consulted with your institution's librarian, you may request an appointment to visit the FIT Library using our Research Appointment Request form.
- Please contact us if you are not sure if we have what you need or if you will be allowed to use specific materials, have questions about acceptability of your photo ID, or any other questions!