ESL/Sustainability in Fashion and Design Certificate
A 10-week hybrid certificate
Spring 2023 Dates (HYBRID: Remote & In-Person)
SXU 002: 2023 TBA
(8 weeks remote and 2 weeks in-person at FIT)
Remote: 16 days
Time: Every Monday and Wednesday, 9:00am to 12:00pm EST
Online Platform: Blackboard - Remote
In-Person: 8 days
Time: Every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 10am to 1pm
FIT’s Sustainability in Fashion and Design is first and foremost a language program for non-native speakers of English focusing on oral communication skills (listening and speaking) by means of covering topics related to sustainability in the fashion industry and beyond. Through small group work, individual work with the instructor, readings, meetings with FIT students, and sessions with guest speakers, students will develop and expand their oral communication skills, vocabulary, and use of proper syntax.
The last two weeks of the certificate will be in person on the FIT campus in New York City. This portion will include field trips to various locations and points of interest in New York City as well as additional instruction and practice in the classroom.
This certificate course is for non-native speakers of English with a minimum of an intermediate level proficiency of English and a strong interest in the fashion industry and sustainability.
- High-speed internet connection
- Computer capable of running the latest browser and streaming media
- Built-in or external webcam and speakers
*Before registering, students’ oral communication skills in English need to be assessed through an online interview with the coordinator of the program. Students should send an email to [email protected] as soon as possible to schedule an interview on Webex or Google Meet.
Learn How To
- Master vocabulary related to sustainability and fashion
- Speak and comprehend English at a more sophisticated and fluent level
- Have more confidence in your ability to communicate in English
- Classes taught by top language instructors
- Program helps you improve your fluency and comfort in using English as tool of communication
- Curriculum created by expert instructional designers
- This English for Special Purposes course puts English into a real world context
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
Meet Your Instructor
Martha Bordman has been an Assistant Adjunct Professor of English as a Second Language (ESL) at FIT for over 37 years. She received her M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language from Hunter College and a B.S. in Teaching from New York University. Her instructional background also includes teaching ESL at New York University’s American Language Institute and the New York City Department of Adult Education. The process of engaging learners who come from all over the world and from all walks of life has been a stimulating challenge for her. She focuses on building student confidence to help them overcome language learning difficulties.
Industry Experts, FIT faculty, FIT Presidential Scholar Students, or FIT Student Cultural Fellows
- Climate Change and Its Effects
- Social Responsibility and Activism to Sustain Our Planet
- Sustainable Issues in the Fashion Industry
- Sustainable Innovations in Contemporary Fashion
- Sustainable Trends in Apparel Design
- Sustainable Concepts in Product Design
- Sustainable Influences in Architectural Design
- Sustainability and Artistic Creations
- Additional Issues for Sustainability in the Here and Now
- Sustainability for the Future and Beyond
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.