Advance appointments are required for all visitors except current FIT & SUNY students, faculty and staff, and High School of the Fashion Industries students
Access Policy & Hours (Recorded Message) - 212.217.4340
Research & Instructional Services (to ask questions about library materials and/or using the FIT Library) 212.217.4400
Special Collections & College Archives (SPARC) has different requirements for visiting--DETAILS
Our Visitor appointment request procedure will change in November 2015 when we will require all FIT Library visitors to use an online appointment request form. At that time, we will no longer make same day appointments. Please check this page for updated information. Note that the appointment procedure for Special Collections & College Archives (SPARC) is not changing.
- The Library grants access to qualified researchers after determination that Library collections meet the researcher's specifically outlined needs and if s/he qualifies for an appointment.. Please call the Research & Instructional Services Desk at 212.217.4400, identify yourself, and briefly explain your research needs to our Research & Instructional Services faculty.
- Appointments are available for any day that the FIT Library is open, but the number of visitors per day is limited.
- Visitors must arrive a minimum of 1 hour before the closing of the 4th and 6th floors (see schedule details)
- Please let us know if you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment.
Visitors must meet FIT security regulations which govern access to all FIT buildings:
- Government issued photo ID [must be currently valid] is required to enter. Please ask if you're not sure if your ID is acceptable..Visitors will be given a Library Visitorís pass by the Security officer in the lobby of the Goodman Center. Take the elevator to the 5th Floor; access to the 4th and 6th Floors within the library is only via the inner stairwell from the 5th Floor.
Visitors have access to most materials & services at the Library, but there are a few exceptions. Note: This list is subject to change without notice.
- General computer access for internet, e-mail, or word processing, and WiFi / wireless network access are not available for visitors. We allow access to online databases using designated computers on the 5th floor only. Use of library computers is for research purposes only but we can refer you to nearby facilities (a public library or commercial operation) for other needs. There are free-standing scanners available for visitors on a first come-first served basis; Bring a USB flash drive to scan and save.
- Because of licensing restrictions, some print and online materials are for use by currently-registered FIT students and faculty only--no exceptions. These include print and online forecasting & trend services (Doneger Creative Services, WGSN, etc.) and some media and market research studies (MRI, Mintel, etc).
- Visitors may only use materials in the Library; borrowing for use outside the Library is not permitted.
- FIT Library database resources are not available for visitors' use remotely outside the Library. We can recommend Online Resources for Non-FIT Students.
- Items at Library service desks will only be checked out to a visitor (and for in-library use only) while the Library holds a currently valid government-issued photo ID to ensure return of materials.
The Library reserves the right to refuse to grant access privileges to any person who fails to observe library regulations. Visitors who engage in noisy or disruptive behavior, or who are using Library facilities for purely recreational purposes, may be asked to leave.
Advance appointments required for the following:
- FIT graduates & alumni, including FIT Alumni Association members.
- Students & faculty from other colleges/universities
NOTE: Students and faculty from local/regional colleges/universities that are members of Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) including City University of New York [CUNY] should first contact their home institution's library for details on obtaining a METRO referral card.
- Members of the Museum at FIT
- Qualified researchers
Appointments not required for the following:
- SUNY faculty, staff, and students [current, validated school ID is required]
- High School of the Fashion Industries students [current, validated school ID is required]
- Although appointments are not required for these groups, we suggest that you call the Research & Instructional Services Desk at 212.217.4400 prior to your visit to verify that the Library is open when you plan to visit and that resources you need are available in the Library.
Appointments not available for the following:
- Students at high school level or below, except students at the High School of Fashion Industries
- Undergraduate students at other local/regional colleges/universities (except for SUNY or METRO referral students) working on class-wide assignments, These students should contact librarians at their own college/universit.