QUICK TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL RESEARCH WRITING
- Gather adequate and credible background information (visit the library)
- Claims must be supported by evidence
- Sources should represent all sides of topic (non-biased)
- Use credible sources (ex; Medical Journal > Dr. Oz)
- Provide sources for info that is not common knowledge
- Use sources effectively, attribute quotes, use signal phrases/author tags (According to the World Health Organization…)
- When in doubt, cite
THE RESEARCH AND WRITING PROCESS
Serious academic research involves an intensive investigation into a topic or issue. This process involves developing a topic and research questions, preparing literature reviews, using solid methodology, reporting findings, and drawing conclusions.
This guide provides an overview of the research process and how it relates to writing. In some classes, you may not use every single part of the process described in this guide. However, it's important to keep in mind, especially for graduate thesis writers and students involved in rigorous research projects, that this process can help you prepare an organized and thorough research paper.
- Developing a topic
- Research Questions
- Annotated Bibliographies
- Literature Review
- Citing Sources