Tutoring during Summer 2018 will begin on Tuesday, May 29. Students may make an individual appointment with a tutor by going to: fit.mywconline.com , choosing "Academic Skills Center" from the dropdown menu, and following the directions. During the summer, appointments with a tutor must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Cancellations must be done at least 24 hours in advance by calling 212 217- 4080 or sending an email to: AcademicSkillsCenter@fitnyc.edu. If students do not cancel 24 hours in advance, it will be considered an absence, and each student is only allowed one absence per session/semester.
Students who are currently registered in credit-bearing or remedial courses at FIT may receive up to 15 hours of individual tutoring each fall and spring semester. During summer, students may meet with a tutor 1 or 2 hours per week. They may also attend walk-in tutoring sessions for certain subjects as often as they like. In order to receive tutoring for a particular class, they must be currently taking that class and may schedule an appointment for up to two weeks in a row at one time.
Online Tutoring Sessions
If you would like to work with a tutor online, you must chose a tutor who has the words, "Face-to-Face or Online", under their name in the scheduling program. If it does not say this under the tutors name, then that tutor does not do online tutoring.
Register and Make an Appointment
1. Please read the following "Tutoring Contract" to understand the purpose and rules of the tutoring center.
- I understand that I am only allowed one absence per semester.
- I understand that I must cancel my appointment 24 hours in advance. If not, it will be considered an absence.
- I understand that I should contact the tutoring center if I am going to be late or absent at 212 217.4080.
- I will supply my tutor with information about my course and bring the necessary notes, books, and equipment.
- I understand that the purpose of tutoring is to help with the clarification of material that the instructor has presented in class or to get a better understanding of required reading and homework.
- I understand that I cannot expect the tutor to have the same expertise as my instructor.
- I understand that under no circumstances will a tutor do my work for me and cannot help with take home exams.
- I understand that a tutor's job is to help me to become a more self-sufficient, independent learner by providing access to the skills necessary to eventually succeed on my own.
2. To register and schedule an appointment, go to: https://fit.mywconline.com/ (use Chrome or Firefox)
3. If you want to sign up for a writing tutor, choose "Writing Studio" from the drop-down menu.
4. For all other classes, choose the option "Academic Skills Center."
Fashion Design Walk-in (Sewing, Draping, Patternmaking)
Mondays through Thursdays from 12:00 - 3:00 pm in C720 (5/29/18 - 6/28/18)
Mondays through Thursdays from 12:00-2:00 and 3:00-5:00 in A608B (5/29/18 - 6/28/18
Please see "Walk-In Schedule" link below for Fall 2018
During the fall and spring semesters, we offer walk-in tutoring in the following subject
areas: draping, sewing, pattern-making, math, economics, science, accounting, computer
software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Soft Image, and others), and some Fashion
Business Management courses. Walk-in sessions offered may vary from semester to semester.
The walk-in schedule will be posted on this site the fourth week of the fall and spring semesters and the first week of the summer session. For more information on tutoring or walk-ins, please call (212) 217- 4080.
WALK-IN Schedule for Spring 2018 (Schedule is subject to change.)
Fashion Design Workshops
1. Tuesday, February 6 and Thursday, February 8, 1:00 - 2:00 pm , Room C-715
* Threading the Industrial Sewing Machine, Identifying Grainlines, Cutting Fabrics, Tips on Note Taking
2. Tuesday, february 20 and Thursday, February 22, 1:00 - 2:00 pm, Room C-715
* How to Thread the Overlock Machine and Buttonhole Machine
3. Tuesday, February 27 and Thursday, March 1, 1:00 - 2:00 pm, Room C-715
* Sewing in Invisible, Slot, and Lapped Zippers
4. Friday, March 16, 2:00 -4:00 pm, Room C-706
* How to Thread and Use the 2 Needle Bottom Cover-stitch Machine and How to Construct a Patch Pocket
5. Friday, March 23, 2:00-4:00 pm, Room C706
* How to Thread and Use the 2 Needle Overlock/4-Thread Mock Safety Machine
6. Tuesday, April 10 and Thursday, April 12, 1:00-2:00 pm, Room C-715
* How to Construct a Fly Zipper for Pants and a Lapel Collar
Technical Design/Patternmaking Workshops
Dates/Times/Locations: Room C-610 from 12:00-2:00 pm
1. Tuesday, February 6th - Measuring/Reading the Measuring Tape, Identifying Grain Lines in Fabrics
2. Thursday, February 8th - Threading the Lock-Stitch, the Over-Lock and the Blind-Stitch Machines
3. Tuesday, February 13th - Threading the Buttonhole Machine, Note Taking for Technical Design Classes
4. Thursday, February 15th - Cutting Plaids, Stripes, and Bias Fabrics and Lining up Front, Sides and Sleeves
Excel Review for students currently registered for MG306 and MG304
Tuesday, February 6ht and Thursday, February 8th from 12:00 - 2:00 pm, Room A608B
If a student requires special services for tutoring due to a disability, Academic Skills will work with the FIT-ABLE office, the college's disability support services office, to make the necessary accommodations. Students should first contact FIT-ABLE, Room A570, 212 217.4090 or go to www.fitnyc.edu/fitable.