Tutoring for Fall 2018 will begin on Wednesday, September 12. Students may make an individual appointment with a tutor by going to: fit.mywconline.com , choosing "Academic Skills Center" from the dropdown menu, and following the directions. Appointments with a tutor must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Cancellations must be done at least 24 hours in advance by calling 212 217- 4080 or sending an email to: AcademicSkillsCenter@fitnyc.edu. If students do not cancel 24 hours in advance, it will be considered an absence, and each student is only allowed one absence per semester. Some walk-in tutoring will begin on Tuesday, September 4th. Please see temporary walk-in schedule below.
Students who are currently registered in credit-bearing or developmental courses at FIT may receive up to 15 hours of individual tutoring each fall and spring semester. They may also attend walk-in tutoring sessions for certain subjects as often as they like. In order to receive tutoring for a particular class, they must be currently taking that class and may schedule an appointment for up to two weeks in a row at one time.
Online Tutoring Sessions
If you would like to work with a tutor online, you must chose a tutor who has the words, "Face-to-Face or Online", under their name in the scheduling program. If it does not say this under the tutors name, then that tutor does not do online tutoring.
Register and Make an Appointment
1. Please read the following "Tutoring Contract" to understand the purpose and rules of the tutoring center.
- I understand that I am only allowed one absence per semester.
- I understand that I must cancel my appointment 24 hours in advance. If not, it will be considered an absence.
- I understand that I should contact the tutoring center if I am going to be late or absent at 212 217.4080.
- I will supply my tutor with information about my course and bring the necessary notes, books, and equipment.
- I understand that the purpose of tutoring is to help with the clarification of material that the instructor has presented in class or to get a better understanding of required reading and homework.
- I understand that I cannot expect the tutor to have the same expertise as my instructor.
- I understand that under no circumstances will a tutor do my work for me and cannot help with take home exams.
- I understand that a tutor's job is to help me to become a more self-sufficient, independent learner by providing access to the skills necessary to eventually succeed on my own.
2. To register and schedule an appointment, go to: https://fit.mywconline.com/ (use Chrome or Firefox)
3. If you want to sign up for a writing tutor, choose "Writing Studio" from the drop-down menu.
4. For all other classes, choose the option "Academic Skills Center."
During the fall and spring semesters, we offer walk-in tutoring in the following subject areas: draping, sewing, pattern-making, math, economics, science, accounting, modern languages, computer software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, and others), and some Fashion Business Management courses. Walk-in sessions offered may vary from semester to semester.
The full walk-in schedule will be posted on this site the fourth week of the fall
and spring semesters and the first week of the summer session. For more information
on tutoring or walk-ins, please call (212) 217- 4080.
WALK-IN Schedule for Fall 2018
Go to above link to view walk-in schedule
Fashion Design Workshops - For students in the FD Major Classes
(Just show up and sign in)
1. Tuesday, September 5th, 1:00 - 2:00 pm - Room C715
* How to Thread the Overlock Machine
2. Tuesday, October 2nd, 1:00 - 2:00 pm - Room C715
* Sewing in Invisible, Slot, and Lapped Zippers
3. Friday, October 5th, 1:00 -3:00 pm - Room C706
* How to Thread and Use the 2 Needle Bottom Cover-stitch Machine and How to Construct a Patch Pocket
4. Friday, October 19th, 1:00-3:00 pm - Room C706
* How to Thread and Use the 2 Needle Overlock/4-Thread Mock Safety Machine and Buttonhole Machine
5. Tuesday, October 23rd, 1:00-2:00 pm - Room C715
* How to Construct a Fly Zipper for Pants and a Lapel Collar
If a student requires special services for tutoring due to a disability, Academic Skills will work with the FIT-ABLE office, the college's disability support services office, to make the necessary accommodations. Students should first contact FIT-ABLE, Room A570, 212 217.4090 or go to www.fitnyc.edu/fitable.