Beginning the third week of the fall and spring semesters, students may schedule appointments with a tutor. Appointments with a tutor must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance by calling 212 217.4080 or sending an email to: AcademicSkillsCenter@fitnyc.edu. If students do not cancel 24 hours in advance, it will be considered an absence, and each student is only allowed one absence per semester.
Students who are currently registered in credit-bearing or remedial courses at FIT
may receive up to ten (10) hours of individual tutoring each fall and spring semester.
They may also attend walk-in tutoring sessions as often as they like. In order to
receive tutoring for a particular class, they must be currently taking that class
and may schedule an appointment for up to two weeks in a row at one time.
During fall and spring semesters, students may use the ten hours in the following ways:
a. ten one-hour sessions, once per week, or
b. 20, 30-minute sessions (maximum of two per week), or
c. a combination of one-hour and 30-minute sessions throughout the semester
Register and Make an Appointment
1. Please read the following "Tutoring Contract" to understand the purpose and rules of the tutoring center.
- I understand that I am only allowed one absence per semester.
- I understand that I must cancel my appointment 24 hours in advance. If not, it will be considered an absence.
- I understand that I should contact the tutoring center if I am going to be late or absent at 212 217.4080.
- I will supply my tutor with information about my course and bring the necessary notes, books, and equipment.
- I understand that the purpose of tutoring is to help with the clarification of material that the instructor has presented in class or to get a better understanding of required reading and homework.
- I understand that I cannot expect the tutor to have the same expertise as my instructor.
- I understand that under no circumstances will a tutor do my work for me and cannot help with take home exams.
- I understand that a tutor's job is to help me to become a more self-sufficient, independent learner by providing access to the skills necessary to eventually succeed on my own.
2. To register and schedule an appointment, go to: https://fit.mywconline.com/ (use Chrome or Firefox)
3. If you want to sign up for a writing tutor, choose "Writing Studio" from the drop-down menu.
4. For all other classes, choose the option "Academic Skills Center."
Spring 2017 (The Walk-In Schedule for Spring 2017 will be available the 3rd week of school)
Please click on the "Walk-In Schedule" link below to see the Spring 2017 Walk-In schedule.
During the fall and spring semesters, we offer walk-in tutoring in the following subject
areas: draping, sewing, pattern-making, math, economics, science, accounting, modern languages,
computer software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Soft Image, and others), and some
Fashion Business Management courses. Walk-in sessions offered may vary from semester
The walk-in schedule will be posted on this site the fourth week of the fall and spring semesters and the first week of the summer sessions. For more information on tutoring or walk-ins, please call 212 217.4080.
Walk-In Schedule (Walk-ins begin on Monday, February 13th. Schedule is subject to change.)
Fashion Design Workshops
Tuesday, February 7, 1:00-2:00 in C603 - Threading the Industrial Sewing Machine, Identifying Grainlines, Cutting Fabrics, Tips on Note Taking
Thursday, February 9, 1:00-2:00 in C603 - Sewing in Invisible, Slot and Lapped Zippers
Tuesday, February 14, 1:00-2:00 in C603 - How to Thread the Overlock Machine and Buttonhole Machine
Teusday, February 21, 1:00-2:00 in C301 - How to Thread and Use the 2 Needle Bottom Coverstitch Machine
Tuesday, February 28, 1:00-2:00 in C301 - How to Thread and Use the 2 needle Overlock/4 - Thread Mock Safety Machine
Technical Design/Patternmaking Workshops
Tuesday, February 7, 12:00-2:00 in C610 - Measuring/Reading the Measuring Tape, Identifying Grain Lines in Fabrics
Thursday, February 9, 12:00 - 2:00 in C610 -Threading the Lock-Stitch, the Over-Lock and the Blind-Stitch Machines
Tuesday, February 14, 12:00-2:00 in C610 - Threading the Buttonhole Machine, Note Taking for Technical Design Classes
Thursday, February 16, 12:00-2:00 in C610 - Cutting Plaids, Stripes, and Bias Fabrics and Lining up Front, Sides and Sleeves
Excel Review for students currently registered for MG306 and FM224
Tuesday, February 7, 1:00-2:00 in A608B
Thursday, February 9, 1:00-2:00 in A608B
Tuesday, February 14, 1:00-2:00 in A608B
Thursday, February 16, 1:00-2:00 in A608B
If a student requires special services for tutoring due to a disability, Academic Skills will work with the FIT-ABLE office, the college's disability support services office, to make the necessary accommodations. Students should first contact FIT-ABLE, Room A570, 212 217.4090 or go to www.fitnyc.edu/fitable.