Group/Individual tutoring for the fall 2019 semester starts on Monday, September 9th. Beginning on Saturday, September 7th, students may start scheduling an individual appointment with a tutor by going to: fit.mywconline.com, choosing "Academic Skills Center" from the dropdown menu, and following the directions. Appointments during the fall and spring semesters must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Cancellations must be done at least 24 hours in advance by calling (212) 217- 4080 or by sending an email to [email protected] . If students do not cancel 24 hours in advance, it will be considered an absence, and each student is only allowed one absence per session/semester.
Fall and Spring
During the fall and spring semesters, students who are currently registered in credit-bearing or developmental courses at FIT may receive up to 15 hours of individual tutoring each semester. They may also attend walk-in tutoring sessions for certain subjects as often as they like. In order to receive tutoring for a particular class, students must be currently taking that class and may schedule an appointment for up to two weeks in a row at one time.
Online Tutoring Sessions
If you would like to work with a tutor online, you must chose a tutor who has the words, "Face-to-Face or Online", under their name in the scheduling program. If it does not say this under the tutor's name, then that tutor does not do online tutoring.
Register and Make an Appointment
1. Please read the following "Tutoring Contract" to understand the purpose and rules of the tutoring center.
- I understand that I am only allowed one absence per semester.
- I understand that I must cancel my appointment 24 hours in advance. If not, it will be considered an absence.
- I understand that I should contact the tutoring center if I am going to be late or absent at 212 217.4080.
- I will supply my tutor with information and syllabus for my course and bring the necessary notes, books, and equipment.
- I understand that the purpose of tutoring is to help with the clarification of material that the instructor has presented in class or to get a better understanding of required reading and homework.
- I understand that I cannot expect the tutor to have the same expertise as my instructor.
- I understand that under no circumstances will a tutor do my work for me and cannot help with take home exams.
- I understand that a tutor's job is to help me to become a more self-sufficient, independent learner by helping me to discover the skills necessary to eventually succeed on my own.
2. To register and schedule an appointment, go to: fit.mywconline.com (use Chrome or Firefox)
3. If you want to sign up for a writing tutor, choose "Writing & Speaking Studio" from the drop-down menu.
4. For all other classes, choose the option "Academic Skills Center."
During the fall and spring semesters, we offer walk-in tutoring in the following subject areas: draping, sewing, pattern-making, math, economics, science, accounting, modern languages, computer software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, and others), and some Fashion Business Management courses. Walk-in sessions offered may vary from semester to semester.
The full walk-in schedule will be posted on this site the fourth week of the fall and spring semesters and the first week of the summer session. For more information on tutoring or walk-ins, please call (212) 217- 4080.
WALK-IN Schedule for Fall 2019 (limited walk-ins starting on Tuesday, September 3rd to Friday, September 6th)
Note: The Full Walk-in Schedule will be avaiable starting Monday, September 9th
Days/Times: Monday through Friday from 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Math, Economics, MG153, MG306
Days/Times: Monday through Friday from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Fashion Design (draping, sewing, patternmaking)
Days/Times: Monday through Friday from 12:00 - 2:00
Comoputer Programs: MS Office, Photoshop, Illutrator
New Student Success - Discussion Sessions
Location: Dubinsky Student Center, Room A641
Tuesday, September 17th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Thursday, September 19th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Tuesday, September 24th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Thursday, September 26th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Current FIT students will discuss how to:
Organize Your Time, Study Effectively, Plan Out Your Semester, Get the Most out of Your Time at FIT
(No prior registration needed. Light snacks will be available)
Fashion Design Workshops for FD Students (Dates and times to be announced)
If a student requires special services for tutoring due to a disability, Academic Skills will work with the FIT-ABLE office, the college's disability support services office, to make the necessary accommodations. Students should first contact FIT-ABLE, Room A570, 212 217.4090 or go to www.fitnyc.edu/fitable.