The FIT Study Abroad Scholarships provide funds to supplement the costs of studying abroad. FIT Study Abroad Scholarships can be used for any study abroad program for which the student receives at least 12 academic credits towards their degree per semester OR a minimum of 2 credits for summer study. For a selection of programs see the FIT Study Abroad website, SUNY International Programs or College Consortium for International Studies. FIT offers 17 Study Abroad Scholarships of $1000-$5000 including the Global Scholar Award, the Gladys Marcus International Scholarship, the FIT in Italy Scholarships and the Lattuada Scholarship. Details about each award can be found below. All are competitive and can be granted in addition to other federally funded or FIT Foundation awards.
September 20, 2017 for programs in Winter 2018 and Spring 2018
February 20, 2018 for programs in Summer 2018, Fall 2018, and Academic Year 2018-2019
Students applying for this award must:
- be enrolled full-time in an FIT degree program
- have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- have applied for Financial Aid or are planning to apply and have demonstrated need OR, for international students, have demonstrated need in accordance with the guidelines established through Severe Economic Hardship Relief for F-1 students
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent residents
- Apply for a study abroad program at fitnyc.edu/studyabroad.
- Complete the additional FIT Global Scholar Award application which includes an additional personal statement. This application is found under the Scholarships & Awards tab of the study abroad application site. The personal statement you provide will be a significant factor in the review of your application for this award. Your statement must include a response to each of the following:
1. Tell us about past experiences that make you eager to study abroad.
2. Tell us about your experiences and values that would make you an effective FIT representative abroad.
3. Tell us in what ways would you be an effective ambassador within the FIT community to promote intercultural understanding and encourage study abroad participation when you return.
Note: Students may apply for a FIT Study Abroad Scholarship even if they have not yet been accepted into their chosen Study Abroad program. However, awards shall be released with proof that the student has been accepted to an authorized Study Abroad program and confirmation that the student is actually able to participate in the program. In the event that an awardee shall withdraw from the Study Abroad Program for any reason the award will be rescinded.
Upon return from study abroad, awardees will submit an essay about their experiences and assist with FIT Abroad program promotion.
FIT STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS
FIT Global Scholar Award Program
The FIT Global Scholar Award Program provides funds to supplement the costs of studying abroad in Winter 2018 and Spring 2018.
- Open to U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents
- These awards can be used for any FIT Study Abroad program for which the student receives at least 12 academic credits towards their degree per semester OR a minimum of 2 credits for winter study.
For Spring 2018 Semester Applications
- One (1) award up to $2,000 for all eligible students
For Winter 2018 Applications
- One (1) award up to $1,000 for all eligible students
FIT in Italy Scholarships
One $3,000 award per semester (Fall and Spring) will be given to FIT in Italy students who demonstrate need.
Gladys Marcus Scholarship
- One award at $1,300 will be given to an FIT student for semester study
- One award at $1,000 will be give to an FIT student for summer study
One $2,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student studying at FIT in Florence for the academic year. Preference will be given to a Fashion Design student.
International Students are eligible to apply.
SUNY Diversity Abroad Honors Scholarship
One $1,000 scholarship per academic term (fall, spring, or summer) will be awarded to a high achieving FIT student participating in a short-term, semester, or year program during their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year.
- Student must be a recipient of an FIT scholarship of at least $1,000 to be eligible for the SUNY Diversity Abroad Scholarship. (FIT scholarship includes Global Scholar Award, Presidential Scholars, Departmental Scholarships.)
DEPARTMENTAL SCHOLARSHIPS & OTHER FIT SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Fashion Design degree students interested in learning more about these opportunities should contact the FD Department for eligibility and application information.
- Michael Kors Endowed Scholarship
International Trade & Marketing
International Trade & Marketing degree students interested in learning more about these opportunities should contact the ITM Department for eligibility and application information.
- Ralph Lauren Corp.
- New Times Group Limited
- PVH corp.
- Gemini Shippers Association
Students must be chosen as Presidential Scholars to be eligible to apply for the following study abroad scholarships during their sophomore or junior year. Students can contact the Presidential Scholars Department for information on application and eligibility information.
- Jerome L. Greene Foundation International Studies Fund (up to $10,000)
- Jodi Tilton Memorial Scholarship for Summer Study Abroad ($2000)
- Henry Wolf Presidential Scholars Summer Abroad Scholarship (up to $5000)
The Educational Skills Department is pleased to announce a $1,500 award to a student
who plans to participate in an FIT study abroad program. This scholarship is made
possible by a generous gift to the Educational Skills Department from Mildred Rothman,
founding member and Chairperson from its inception until 1991.
Deadline: April 1
- Candidates must be matriculated in a current undergraduate degree program (full or part‐time)
- Candidates must carry a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Candidates must have successfully completed an Educational Skills course
- Candidates must be accepted into a study‐abroad program
The scholarship will be awarded based on the following:
- A resume, with an accompanying personal statement
(Please explain which program you wish to attend and what you hope to get out of studying abroad.)
- A recommendation letter from an FIT faculty member outside of the Educational Skills Department
- An interview with members of the Educational Skills Department
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to Professor Mark Goldblatt, Chairperson of the Educational Skills Department, in B602 by April 1st.
EXTERNAL SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
AASAP/UK Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship
For students studying in the UK
American-Scandinavian Foundation Fellowships & Grants
The ASF offers fellowships and grants to outstanding American students for study in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
Boren Scholarships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.
For students studying in the UK
Critical Language Scholarship (CLS)
The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program is a fully funded summer overseas language and cultural immersion program for American undergraduate and graduate students. With the goal of broadening the base of Americans studying and mastering critical languages and building relationships between the people of the United States and other countries, CLS provides opportunities to a diverse range of students from across the United States at every level of language learning.
Diversity Abroad Scholarships
Summer Study Abroad: The Diversity Abroad Network “Diversity Network” will offer summer scholarships in the amount of $1,000 for full-time undergraduate (both community college and university level) students attending a member institution.
Students may also use the Diversity Abroad Scholarship search engine for additional scholarship opportunities.
Freeman Award - Asia
Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.
Fund for Education Abroad (FEA)
Fund for Education Abroad is an independent study abroad scholarship provider. Applicants from groups underrepresented in study abroad and those destined for non-traditional locations are given preference.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Global Study Awards
GoEuro European Study Abroad Scholarship
F.I.T. has been registered and is eligible to participate in the GoEuro European Study Abroad Scholarship program. There are three scholarships of up to €2000 to be awarded. GoEuro.com understands that understanding new cultures through travel can be a major part of an international exchange. They want to make this easier and dedicating their scholarship to students hoping to carry out a study abroad program in a European Union and/or Schengen country. More information about the GoEuro Scholarship can be found here: http://www.goeuro.com/travel/study-abroad
Go Overseas Scholarship
Institute for International Education (IIE) Study Abroad Funding
This resource features detailed descriptions of hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals.
ISIC (International students are eligible)
Scholarships Portal EU (For programs in Europe)
Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship
UCE Leadership Scholarship
Leadership Scholarships are awarded by the UCE Scholarship Fund annually. The student must have contributed as a leader to FIT and their home community during their two years at FIT. The Leadership – Scholarship award of up to $3,000 is presented upon the start of the fall semester.