Program Type: Exchange
The Royal Melbourne Institute in Technology (RMIT), located in the heart of Melbourne, Australia, is the top art and design school in Australia with branch campuses in Vietnam (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City) and Spain (Barcelona). RMIT has distinguished itself as a global university offering a range of technology, design and enterprise disciplines with an international focus. Melbourne was recognized as the “world’s most livable city” for the 5th time since 2010 and is home to Australia’s largest and oldest institutions, including UNESCO World Heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health & Wellness
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
Approvals on an ongoing basis until 15-Feb*: Fall
Approvals on an ongoing basis until 1-October*: Spring
*Early applicants receive preference.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Matriculation in a Bachelor's degree program.
- Advertising Design students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor.
AD Design students may participate in their 7th semester.
**Portfolio Requirement: Portfolio with 12 pieces of recent work to Prof. Joseph Staluppi
- Fashion Design students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the Faculty Coordinator.
Students may participate in their 6th semester (Spring Term only).
**Portfolio Requirement: If meeting for an interview, please make sure to bring your portfolio that includes your fashion art work and garments that you have made. These should be represented as real garments and NOT just PHOTOS of garments.
For students currently abroad and interviewing over Skype: Students must email Prof. Skocir their Skype username, upload their current work to Google Drive and share it a minimum of 2 days prior to interview.
- Fashion Business Management students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the Faculty Coordinator. Students may participate in their 5th or 6th semesters.
- Textile/Surface Design students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor. Students may participate in their 7th semester.
Full-time credit load consists of 48 (RMIT) credit points
Advertising Design Course Information:
Bachelor of Communication (Advertising) (BP219)
- Advertising Industry Practice (Capstone)
- Art Direction
Fashion Design Course Information:
Bachelor of Design Program Structure (BH103)
Fashion Business Management Course Information:
RMIT Fashion and Merchandise Management (BP310)
Textile/Surface Design Course Information:
Bachelor of Arts Textile Design (BP121)
RMIT Semester 1 (FIT Spring Semester): March - June
RMIT Semester 2 (FIT Fall Semester): July - November
A detailed Academic Calendar can be viewed on the RMIT website.
Students are responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements for the duration of their stay. Both on and off-campus housing is available to students attending RMIT.
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in Australia. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
Health & Wellness
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
- Coverage abroad: Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Insurance
*This policy is required by RMIT in lieu of GeoBlue Study Abroad insurance. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval. OSHC is required in order to obtain a student visa for study in Australia. Students will not be billed by FIT for GeoBlue.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Student Health Insurance
Wellness & Support
RMIT is dedicated to providing equal opportunities to all students. To view support offered to FIT students please visit Equitable Learning Service (ELS).
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.