Lorenzo de' Medici
Program Type: Semester Study Abroad
The Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute (LdM), located off the River Arno in Florence, Italy, started off as an Italian language school before branching off into the arts. Today, LdM offers specializations in studio arts, creative arts and design, liberal arts and Italian language. Florence’s Historic Centre is named one of the UNESCO’s World Heritage sites for its extraordinary Renaissance architecture and art galleries.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health Insurance
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Advertising & Marketing Communications students must be matriculated Bachelor's degree students and must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor.
- Art History & Museum Professions students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor. AHMP students may participate in their 6th semester.
- Fabric Styling students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor for study abroad during the 6th Semester.
- Fine Arts students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor for study abroad during the 4th Semester.
- International Trade & Marketing students must be matriculated Bachelor's degree students and must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor.
Although the completion of Italian Language is not required as a pre-requisite before participating in this program, all students must register for an Italian Language class during their study abroad semester at LdM.
A detailed Academic Calendar can be viewed on the LdM website.
Students are responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements for the duration
of their stay.
Option 1: LdM Facilitated Housing
Apartments are furnished and equipped with bed linens, towels, basic pots and pans, kitchen utensils, washing machine and TV. All apartments are provided with Internet service but, are not provided with a land-line telephone. Apartments in Italy, especially in the historic centers, are all situated in antique buildings and therefore no apartment is alike. LdM does maintain a standard for all apartments.
Shared apartments usually house 2-4 students. Students will not be able to change their roommate selection(s) once they have been requested and confirmed. All apartments are non-smoking. All apartments are within walking distance to the school or easily reachable by public transportation.
The rent period begins on housing check-in day and ends on housing check-out day.
Costs per semester:
Shared Room $3,800
2-4 student apartments
Single Room $4,550
Housing App Deposit: $300
Rent Deposit: $1,200
Due upon submitting LdM housing application.
Balance due approx. five weeks prior to check-in date.
Option 2: Plus Florence
Students are raving about the Plus Florence Youth Hostel! This is a dorm-style, luxury hostel, in the center of Florence. Click on the link above and review the accommodation details. Students choosing to stay here will make their arrangements directly with Plus Florence.
Amenities include, free outdoor swimming pool (spring/summer only), free indoor swimming pool (winter only), sauna, fitness room, free Wi-Fi, Internet Café, linens, 24/hr reception, outdoor terrace with amazing views, private bathrooms, laundry facilities and more! Check out the Plus Florence Facebook page.
Direct queries may be sent to:
Costs per semester:
Double Room 2,700
Triple Room 2,400
Option 4: Independent Housing
Estimated rent through local agencies: 650 - 800/month
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in Italy. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
- Coverage abroad: UHC Study Abroad Insurance
*Students will be enrolled automatically and their MyFIT account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Student Health Insurance
A copy of this form may be brought to the Financial Aid Services Office so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
Students who choose to take more than 15 credits at LdM will be required to pay for any additional credit hours.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.