American University Paris
Program Type: Semester Study Abroad
The American University of Paris (AUP), centrally located in the seventh arrondissement of Paris, France, is a successful experiment in international, interdisciplinary education and the oldest American higher education institution in Europe. AUP believes that everyone is, at some point, a foreigner and promotes the theme of global citizenship with a culture of community engagement. Located in the cultural center of Paris, students can access every facet of creative expression from the Louvre to the Opéra Garnier to Le Grand Rex.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health & Wellness
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Matriculation in a Bachelor's degree program.
- Advertising & Marketing Communications students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the Department Chairperson. Students may participate in their 5th, 6th or 7th semesters.
- Entrepreneurship students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the Department Chairperson.
- Fashion Business Management students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the Departmental Coordinator. Students may participate in their 5th, 6th or 7th semesters.
- International Trade & Marketing students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the Department Chairperson.
A detailed Academic Calendar can be viewed on the AUP website.
Students are able to choose from AUP-approved housing options, though there are some exceptions for independent housing*. AUP does not provide on-campus housing; however, they can assist students in securing private student housing off-campus through Comforts of Home or AUP-approved homestays. Further details will be provided to students as part of their AUP application process (after being approved by FIT).
*Exceptions may be if you are a student over the age of 23, have already been living in Paris or intend to live with a Parisian family member, or require a single-person occupancy apartment for medical reasons.
N.B. AUP requires their visiting students to live with other AUP students.
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in France. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. International Insurance is mandatory and students cannot waive it, however students going to AUP have a choice between two plans:
- Coverage abroad:
- AUP Health Plan with MSH International Study Abroad Insurance. This would be charged to your AUP Student Account along with the mandatory Orientation fee; OR
- FIT’s GeoBlue Study Abroad Insurance (plan used for all other FIT programs). Students will be enrolled and their account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Health Insurance
Wellness & Support
As AUP's Student Life Office site puts it, "New school, new city, new language, new apartment: we know that while this is exciting, it can also be intimidating...We see you and we’ve got you." Review what services are available to you here.
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.