- Fashion Design AAS
- Fashion Business Management BS
- Liberal Arts
The FIT in Florence program offers Fashion Design and Fashion Business Management students the opportunity to study in Italy, absorbing a distinctive cultural perspective while preparing for a career without global boundaries. Some majors also offer the opportunity to study one semester of liberal arts. Classes are taught in English.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health Insurance
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
Fashion Design: Rolling approvals* until 2-Jan (Year prior to study): Academic Year/Fall
Fashion Business Management: Rolling approvals* until 1-Feb (Year prior to study): Academic Year/Fall
Fashion Business Management & Liberal Arts: Rolling approvals* until 30-Apr (Year prior to study): Spring only
*Early applicants receive preference.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Fashion Business Management: 5th or 6th semester, or entire 3rd year (BS) - Participation is contingent upon acceptance to the BS program. Students must also have completed Italian 111 by the semester prior to their program start date.
- Fashion Design: 1st year or 2nd year or 3rd semester (AAS). 2nd Year Students must also have completed Italian 111 by the semester prior to their program start date (for full academic year program).
- Liberal Arts: Spring only. Open to specific majors only. Students must seek departmental advisement to determine their eligibility. Students must also have completed Italian 111 by the semester prior to their program start date.
- Eligible students must obtain academic advisement and approval from their Study Abroad Faculty Coordinator and/or Dean of Liberal Arts
- Must maintain a minimum of 12 credits each semester
- Be qualified to obtain a Study Visa for Italy
- Portfolio requirement (Fashion Design only): Portfolios should include both fashion artwork and actual garments from Fashion Art and Apparel classes. Further instructions will be specified once the online application is submitted.
Students accepted to the FIT in Florence program should not book weekend travel until receiving their course syllabi after arrival in Florence.
August 21: Arrival
August 22 - 28: Mandatory Orientation (week)
August 29: 1st day of fall classes
December 14: Last day of fall semester
January 8: Arrival
January 9 - 15: Mandatory orientation (week)
January 16: 1st day of spring classes
May 10: Last day of spring semester
Arrangements are made for students to stay for one week at the Plus Hostel Florence. During this time, students will receive orientation, apply for the Permesso di Soggiorno (Permission of Stay), look for permanent housing and choose their roommates.
Temporary Accommodation will be reserved through OIP at the Plus Hostel Florence.
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in Italy. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
- Coverage abroad: GeoBlue Study Abroad Insurance
*Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Health Insurance
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.