- Fashion Design AAS
- Fashion Business Management BS
- Liberal Arts
The FIT in Florence program offers Fashion Design and Fashion Business Management students the opportunity to study in Italy, absorbing a distinctive cultural perspective while preparing for a career without global boundaries. Some majors also offer the opportunity to study one semester of liberal arts. Classes are taught in English.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health Insurance
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
Fashion Design & Fashion Business Management - Approvals on an ongoing basis until 1-Feb* (Year prior to study): Academic Year/Fall only
Fashion Business Management & Liberal Arts - Approvals on an ongoing basis until 30-Apr* (Year prior to study): Spring only
*Early applicants receive preference.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Matriculation in an Associate's degree (for Fashion Design) or Bachelor's degree program
- Fashion Business Management students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the Department International Coordinator. Students are eligible during their 5th or 6th semester, or full 3rd year. Students must also have completed Italian 111 by the semester prior to their program start date.
- Fashion Design students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the Departmental International Coordinator. Students are eligible during their full 1st year or 2nd year or 3rd semester. 2nd Year Students must also have completed Italian 111 by the semester prior to their program start date (for full academic year program).
- Liberal Arts students must obtain approval from the Dean of Liberal Arts and Department Chairperson. Open to specific majors only; students are eligible during the Spring semeser only. Students must also have completed Italian 111 by the semester prior to their program start date.
- Portfolio requirement (Fashion Design only): Portfolios should include both fashion artwork and actual garments from Fashion Art and Apparel classes. Further instructions will be specified once the online application is submitted.
Students must take a full credit load of 12 credits or more during their program.
Students accepted to the FIT in Florence program should not book weekend travel until receiving their course syllabi after arrival in Florence.
Fall 2021 (estimated)
August 24: Arrival in Florence
August 25 - 27: Mandatory Orientation Week
August 30: First day of Fall classes
December 23: Last day of Fall semester
Spring 2022 (estimated)
January 11: Arrival in Florence
January 12 - 15: Mandatory Orientation Week
January 18: First day of Spring classes
May 18: Last day of Spring semester
Students are responsible for making their own accommodations arrangements for the duration of their stay. FIT in Florence partners with Florence and Abroad to offer student apartments prior to arrival in Florence.
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in Italy. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
- Coverage abroad: UHC Study Abroad Insurance
*Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Health Insurance
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.