skip to con tent

In this section

Parent FAQ

Q: I need to pick up/drop off my student on days other than the scheduled move-in/move-out days. Can I do this?

A: Unfortunately, this is not possible. Students may not arrive on campus before their scheduled check-in dates in August and January, or depart from campus later than their scheduled move-out dates in December and May. See Moving In and Moving Out.

Q: How do I send mail to my student who lives in the residence halls?

A: Mail and packages to resident students should be addressed using the residence hall name and street address, as well as name and room number of student. For example, mail to Jane Doe who lives in 18M2 Alumni Hall should be addressed like this:

Jane Doe
18M2 Alumni Hall
210 W 27th Street
New York, NY 10001

Street address for Alumni Hall: 210 W. 27th Street
Street address for Nagler Hall: 220 W. 27th Street
Street address for Coed Hall: 230 W. 27th Street
Street address for Kaufman Hall: 406 W. 31st Street

Q: How can I ship some of my student's belongings ahead of her/his arrival on campus in August/January?

A: Packages shipped prior to a student's arrival on campus may not weigh more than 70 lbs. or exceed 36" in any dimension. Packages may not arrive more than seven days before the student arrives and should be mailed to the following address:

27th Street Residents ship to:

The FIT Coed Residence, c/o (your name)
230 W. 27th Street
NY, NY 10001

Kaufman Hall Residents ship to:

Kaufman Hall, c/o (your name)
406 W. 31st Street
NY, NY 10001

Q: How do students receive packages at their residence hall address?

A: Students who receive a package will get a package slip in their mailbox or email informing them that a package is awaiting pick up. Students must present this package slip Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm at the Residential Life mailroom at both 27th Street (Coed Hall lobby) and Kaufman Hall (basement mailroom).

Q: Can my student remain in the residence halls during holiday recess, winter session, spring break, and/or the summer?

A: Yes and no. Current residence hall students may remain in the residence halls during the winter session at an additional cost. Please note that the residence halls are closed and inaccessible to all students during the holiday recess (immediately following final exams in December through early January). Students may remain in their rooms during spring break with no additional cost. During the summer, any FIT student may live in the residence halls as long as certain criteria are met. Please note that the residence halls are closed and inaccessible to all students from late July until late August. See Summer & Recess Housing.

Q: My student has lived in the residence halls for two semesters and wants to live in the residence halls again next year. Can my student live in the residence halls more than two semesters?

A: Current residence hall students are eligible to apply for the housing lottery for Kaufman Hall if they wish to live on campus after their first year. Space is limited and no applicant is guaranteed housing.

Q: My student needs assistance finding off-campus accommodations. Where can s/he find such assistance?

A: The Residential Life Department assists students in finding off-campus housing. See Off-Campus Housing.

Q: My student is having problems with her/his roommate and doesn't know what to do. How should I advise them?

A: It is not uncommon for roommate conflicts to occur, especially among students who have never shared a bedroom before. On every residence hall floor lives a resident assistant (RA) who is trained to assist students in these situations. Parents should advise their students to speak with the RA about their concerns, and that compromise and understanding are the keys to successful roommate relationships.

Q: Will the Residential Life Department share information with me regarding my students' conduct history, etc., since I pay the bills?

A: Most likely not. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) states that educational records of students aged 18 and over may not be released to a third party without the prior written consent of the student.

Q: I am worried about my student's safety in New York City. What should I do?

A: The FIT residence halls are a very safe community with 24 hour security, but students need to employ common sense in this regard. Advise your students to do the following:

  • Do not sign in strangers.
  • Always double lock the room door, even if you are just going down the hall or to the bathroom.
  • Immediately report any suspicious characters or unescorted guests to a Resident Assistant or to the Security Department at 212 217.7777.
  • Do not keep or wear expensive jewelry and do not carry large sums of cash.
  • Use common sense!

Q: My student takes expensive medication regularly, and I am concerned that it may be stolen. What should my student do?

A: The Residential Life Department strongly encourages students to keep their medications in a combination lock box to avoid theft. Combination lock boxes may be purchased inexpensively at home/office supply stores. In some cases, Health Services may assist with storing and distributing your student's medication (contact them directly for additional information).

Q: My student needs information on local resources, attractions, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, etc. Where can s/he find this information?

A: The Residential Life Department lists comprehensive neighborhood information: Know Your Neighborhood.

Q: My student is 21 or older and would like to keep beer or wine in her/his room. Is this permitted?

A: No. FIT is a dry campus, meaning no drugs, alcohol or related paraphernalia are permitted on campus regardless of the student's age. Please click here for a comprehensive listing of Residential Life policies and procedures.

Q: Does my student need personal/property insurance?

A: Yes. Click here to read about personal/property insurance.

Q: What can my student do to prepare for an emergency?

A: Information can be found under School Closings/Emergency Information. In addition, all students should be equipped with an emergency "Go Bag."