Residential Life introduced a gender inclusive housing option during the 2017-2018 academic year. FIT is proud to join over 200 colleges across the nation, including 24 within New York State, many within the SUNY system, who offer this option to their students.
For more information on why gender inclusive housing options are critical on college campuses and why FIT has joined other universities in diversifying its community, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
FIT GENDER INCLUSIVE HOUSING OVERVIEW:
- Residents who OPT-IN to Gender Inclusive will reside in accommodations with roommates of any sex or gender identity.
- Residents who OPT-OUT of Gender Inclusive will reside in accommodations with roommates of the same gender identity.
- Gender inclusive housing is provided as an option in both first year and returning student residence halls.
- Gender inclusive housing will be offered based on availability of space and interest amongst students. In some cases, students with other housing accommodation needs may not be able to participate in gender-inclusive housing, however every effort will be made to find the most suitable housing for each student.
- Gender inclusive housing is available in Alumni Hall (quad apartment accommodations only) for first year students and Kaufman Hall (double, triple, and quad apartments) for returning students.
- On the housing application for the upcoming academic year, students will be able to choose a gender-inclusive housing option. Students CONFIRMED for housing will then be given the opportunity to select roommates from the pool of students also in gender inclusive housing, or with known roommates who have also opted-in. This roommate selection process is the same as our current practice for all FIT students, but will be conducted without restrictions of sex or gender. Waitlisted students cannot be chosen as roommates.