A symposium on Ivy Style, past and present, here and abroad, in conjunction with the exhibition of the same name currently on view at The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology (MFIT), will take place at FIT on November 8 and 9, 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. Speakers will include contributors to the book that accompanies the exhibition, also titled Ivy Style, as well as other scholars and designers.
Participants and topics include:
- Patricia Mears, exhibition curator, on Ivy Style
- Richard Press, co-curator and special consultant, on J. Press and the Heyday of Ivy
- G. Bruce Boyer, co-curator and special consultant, on Jazz and Ivy Style at Mid-Century
- Claudio del Vecchio, chairman and CEO, Brooks Brothers Group, Inc., and executive director, the Luxottica Group, on Brooks Brothers
- Michael Bastian, named 2011 Menswear Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America, in conversation with Patricia Mears
- Jeffrey Banks, designer, with Doria de La Chapelle, co-authors of Preppy: Cultivating Ivy Style and Tartan: Romancing the Plaid, on Preppy: Cultivating Ivy Style
- Paul Winston of the Chipp 2 New York specialty shop for men's furnishings, in conversation with Bruce Boyer
For the complete schedule and registration, go towww.fitnyc.edu/museum
The Ivy Style symposium will take place in the Morris W. and Fannie B. Haft Auditorium, Marvin Feldman Center, FIT, 27th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, New York City.