The Office of Disability Services (FIT-ABLE), of the Fashion Institute of Technology/SUNY, provides services and reasonable accommodations to students, working with each individually. Students with mobility, chronic illnesses, or other disabilities must establish eligibility for services and/or reasonable accommodations by providing comprehensive documentation from a medical professional licensed or certified to diagnose and treat their disability.
Such physical disabilities may include one or more of the following, but are not limited to:
- Deaf or hard of hearing
- Visual impairment
- Mobility, physical/dexterity
- Chronic medical or neurological condition
- Diagnosis, including a clear statement of the existence of a medically determined physical impairment
- Observations and clearly defined report on students functioning relevant to studying at college: course load, stressors, physical access requirements, dorming needs/requirements
- Onset of disability, history of course, chronic, static
- Medications required and their affect on student, frequency of use and storage
- Test results of auditory functioning or impairment and aids used (hearing aids, FM systems, cochlear implants, etc.)
- Visual acuity and aids used
Documentation must be submitted to FIT-ABLE on official letterhead, signed by the health care professional, and include said persons, address, phone numbers and credentials.