skip to con tent

In this section


Loan forgiveness OFFERS

Students and graduates are getting targeted messages offering loan forgiveness for FIT students. Some of these loan forgiveness offers are really links to malicious and not legitimate sites.

Below is a sample of a Facebook ad and the website that FIT is not endorsing. 

loan scam advertisement loan scam website

The only loan forgiveness, cancellation, or discharge programs are the ones that the Department of Education mentions on these websites:

Federal Student Aid - Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program

Federal Student Aid - Forgiveness, Cancellation & Discharge of Loan

Financial Aid Applications

There are unscrupulous companies that may guarantee scholarships, grants, work-study, and loans or will charge a fee to provide applications services to handle your paperwork. The only application for Federal Student Aid is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov.

For more information about scams, we suggest you read Scholarship and Financial Aid Scams on the Federal Trade Commission website.


There are free scholarship searches online, so don't waste your money on fee-based scholarship matching services. If you have to pay money to get money, it is probably a scam. Do not give money, bank account, or credit card information to anyone claiming to have a scholarship for you or to anyone guaranteeing you will get you a grant or scholarship.

For more information regarding scholarship scams, visit FinAid.org and read about Common Scholarship Scams and Protecting Yourself from Scholarship Scams.

Selective Service Registration

Almost all male citizens and resident aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to registrar with the Selective Service. Do not be scammed by websites that claim to register men for Selective Service for a fee. The United States Government does not charge a fee for men to register for Selective Service. There are several ways to register:

  • On Your FAFSA: When you apply for financial aid, choose "Register Me" on your FAFSA application and the Department of Education will send your request to the Selective Service.
  • Online:  Selective Service Website.
  • Post Office:  A form can be obtained at any U.S. Post Office.
  • Your School:  More than half of the high schools in the nation have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar; check with your high school counselor to see if there is a Selective Service Registrar at your school.